question (1 Viewer)

w00dy.

HSC
i am currently doing 2 unit maths. and is planning on dropping down to general at the end of year 11.

i was wondering if the things taught in general throughout prelim are touched on etc in hsc.

and

whether or not i would have that disadvantage having done the 2 unit maths throughout prelim instead of hsc?

pink_rabbit_<3

HSC
N/A
personally i think you should stay with 2 unit unless you are absolutely failing! general maths is a different course (well at my school it is) and it consists of consumer arithmetic, statistics etc etc.
I'm pretty sure in yr 12 there will be a quick revision of the things learnt in general maths in yr 11 for those people who drop out into general from adv. or ext.
No you certainly would not have a disadvantage..in fact the opposite an advantage in most topics!!! Did you know that 90 percent of adv. students who drop out into general actually get a band of 5 or 6 in the hsc so there u go! (my teacher told us that one!)

w00dy.

HSC
its not that i am failing 2 unit (im not) that i want to drop it. but more so because the 2 unit course for me, takes up more of my time than any of my other subjects. and there are other subjects that i would prefer to focus more on.

thanks for the reply =]

pink_rabbit_<3

HSC
N/A
hmmm true true!! i do 3 unit maths and it takes up like all of my time!!! lol so i know what you mean but im sure if you organise your subjects you will find time for maths plus your other subjects as well! what other subjects do u do???

no problem!

w00dy.

HSC
i do
ext english
adv english
adv maths
bio
modern history
cafs
photography

but im dropping the photography at the end of prelim cause its a non uai.

i found that even with organising all other subjects i still spend far too much time on maths, than what id like to. my biggest downfall in maths is that im one of the slower workers in the class. cause i do everything one step at a time. where as everyone else jumps. its not that i cant keep up with them or anything. its more the time. and like i said id prefer to have a little more time to spend on other subjects.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Its true that most people that drop from 2 unit mathematics will indeed be able to easily pick up on the topics studied in General Mathematics.

At the beginning of year 12 there were some chapters in my textbook that were a review of the required preliminary knowledge for the HSC course, my class completed those first and with those you should have all the knowledge you will need.

As for doing mathematics one step at a time that is a much better method then skipping steps as eventually they will be wrong and you can at least get marks for having the correct steps but the wrong answers.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Don't drop the maths. You'll have to spend just as much time on general if you want to get the same scaling as you would have for 2unit.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
w00dy. said:
i found that even with organising all other subjects i still spend far too much time on maths, than what id like to. my biggest downfall in maths is that im one of the slower workers in the class. cause i do everything one step at a time. where as everyone else jumps. its not that i cant keep up with them or anything. its more the time. and like i said id prefer to have a little more time to spend on other subjects.
Skip the steps in class, go through each step in exams, that should be fine if you actually know the steps :p

w00dy.

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Skip the steps in class, go through each step in exams, that should be fine if you actually know the steps :p
i have to admit. that is a fair call. but i make it clear. i do actully know how to do the steps. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
But then again there are some people that need to know the steps and exactly how everything is done and if they don't get into the habit of writing all the steps out they fail to do it in the exams, with the except of SoulSearcher cause I know he writes all steps in mathematics exams - I learned that from an earlier thread. ;)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Well it depends on how well you are doing in your other subjects. If you are going well in the rest of your units, and feel that dropping extension maths may help you improve on those other subjects, then you may drop it, however keep extension maths at least until the end of year 11 and into the beginning of year 12, to work out whether it still takes up a lot of your time. Also try and organise your time so that you are able to spend as much time as you need on maths without going into your study with the other subjects.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
If you do decide to drop maths 2u or ext, just remember that the scaling system can be on your side, and you can take advantage of that. Eg: 20% in 3u = 65%, depending on the difficulty of the exams. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)