Question (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
What would be some of the advantages and disadvantages of using EMr (eg- radio, tv, microwaves) for communication technology? (Question from SC 2005, Q63b. )

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Microwaves

Advantages
Pass through the ionosphere, so are suitable for satellite to Earth transmission.
Can be modified to carry many signals at one time, including data, television pictures and voice messages.

Disadvantages

Absorbed very easily by natural, e.g. rain, and made objects, e.g. concrete. They are also absorbed by living tissue and may cause harm by their cooking effect.
Need special aerials to receive them.

Radio waves

Advantages
Some are reflected off the ionosphere, so can travel around the Earth.
Can carry a message instantaneously over a wide area.
Aerials to receive them are simpler than for microwaves.

Disadvantages
The range of frequencies that can be accessed by existing technology is limited, so there is a lot of competition amongst companies for the use of the frequencies.

Both microwaves and radio waves

Advantages
Wires are not needed as they travel through air, thus, a cheaper form of communication.

Disadvantages
Travel in a straight line, so repeater stations may be needed

Source: HSC Online

Hope that helps.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Bleh. How come I don't remember doing this question? :confused: Meh, I'm getting senile :p

But yes, mr_brightside covered it pretty well, and just another point: AM and FM have to be carried out on carrier waves of SOME wavelength. Therefore the relatively wide range of these waves on the electromagnetic radiation spectrum is an advantage in allowing more modulation to take place and thus more efficient information communication :)

twilight1412

HSC
airie we got lucky ^^
the syllabs changed after our year for various subjects so theres some stuff there that we havent done before

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
twilight1412 said:
airie we got lucky ^^
the syllabs changed after our year for various subjects so theres some stuff there that we havent done before
lol maybe, but Kujah said that it's from the 05 SC, which is what we've done last year :p So I was just commenting on how it's a bit strange that I recall absolutely nothing like it...then again. Who bothers remembering exam questions after they're done. XP

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
airie said:
lol maybe, but Kujah said that it's from the 05 SC, which is what we've done last year :p So I was just commenting on how it's a bit strange that I recall absolutely nothing like it...then again. Who bothers remembering exam questions after they're done. XP
I do sometimes, unfortunately :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Writing the full question might help you remember :p

Question 63.
a) Name a type of eclectromagnetic radiation that is used in communication.
b) Identify one advantage and one disadvantage of using this type of electromagnetic radiation for communication.
Advantage:
Disadvantage:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
a) Mircrowaves or radio waves
b) see above (post by soul searcher)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)