Question?????? (1 Viewer)

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
Does anyone know how many hours notice an employer must give and employee when calling them into work on their day off?

I am getting called in to replace people who are sick 15 minutes before they expect me to start. Is this right??

Peartie

HSC
it changes from company to company...

they can call and ask you to come in but you dont have to say yes - and you cant get in trouble for being late if they call you 15 mins before ur meant to start

michael1990

HSC
Depending on your employed status.
If you're a casual they can call you whenever they like. But you don't have to say yes, i don't see the problem. If you signed up to work and they ring and ask you to work, why wouldn't you want to go to work or just say no? Or yes i can work later?

HSC
Just say, yes I'll come in but not for another hour, or something like that.
They can't have a go at you, and if they do, you can simply turn around and say that you can't work.

jirwin

HSC
When I'm called in to replace someone, they normally ask when I can get there, or just 'as soon as you can get here'.

You can always say, I can come in to work but I wont be able to get there until 'whatever time'. and then its up to them if they just accept it and move on or whether they reject you and try getting someone else in.

I mean, can't go against you because you said you would do the shift it was just you couldnt get there for their time.

With people above saying 'you can just say no'... that is true, but you also have to think of the consequences of doing so. If you regularly knock back shifts then your employer will think you don't want to work - so your reputation will be hindered and could possibly result in less/no shifts for you. I normally say Yes unless there is a reason why I can't do the shift. If I say no and my reason wasn't that strong (e.g. wasnt like 'sorry I have TAFE'), then I try and make sure I say yes the next time - so not to make it a habit.

So to answer the question. I don't think there is a requirement in terms of how much notice they give an employee, but most I assume would be realistic and appreciative that you say yes even though you might not be able to make it on time.

Peartie

HSC
jirwin said:
With people above saying 'you can just say no'... that is true, but you also have to think of the consequences of doing so. If you regularly knock back shifts then your employer will think you don't want to work - so your reputation will be hindered and could possibly result in less/no shifts for you. I normally say Yes unless there is a reason why I can't do the shift. If I say no and my reason wasn't that strong (e.g. wasnt like 'sorry I have TAFE'), then I try and make sure I say yes the next time - so not to make it a habit.
When i was working at Woolies I only ever said no three times to extra shifts - once when I was so sick i couldnt actually get out of bed, once when they KNEW i was interstate and the other when I had leave because I had exams...

But they knew that I would usually come in so it was good...but yea...they also said "when are you able to get here" so I could tell them Ill be there in 2 hours and theyd say thats fine or dont worry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)