question (1 Viewer)

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
the nesa Assessment and Reporting in English Advanced Stage 6 pdf on page 5 says that 'Schools are able to schedule more than one written examination to provide opportunities for students to prepare for and experience examination conditions. However, only one formal written examination can contribute to a formal assessment schedule.'

page 7 also says 'only one task may be a formal written examination with a maximum weighting of 30%'

what does this mean? does this mean that only 1 written exam can count towards our internals for english? we had a half-yearly which was a written task and our trials which were obv written

howcanibesmarter

HSC
the nesa Assessment and Reporting in English Advanced Stage 6 pdf on page 5 says that 'Schools are able to schedule more than one written examination to provide opportunities for students to prepare for and experience examination conditions. However, only one formal written examination can contribute to a formal assessment schedule.'

page 7 also says 'only one task may be a formal written examination with a maximum weighting of 30%'

what does this mean? does this mean that only 1 written exam can count towards our internals for english? we had a half-yearly which was a written task and our trials which were obv written
I think you're misunderstanding something here. The 'only one task may be a formal written examination with a maximum weighting of 30%' is only referring to ur trials. Meaning trials can only be worth at max 30%.

The other the written exams do not count as a "formal written examination" since it isn't mimicking the style of the hsc, or in other words, testing a proper paper1, paper2 exam.

i.e. If another written exam is only testing Module A, this is not considered a formal examination since it only tests a fraction of what is expected in the hsc.

You can have 3 written exams, one of which is trials. (nesa forces schools to do a multimodal presentation) The other two are still counted to your final rank but these cannot test everything, i.e. One test may only be on Module B, one could be purely on common Module.

carrotsss

HSC
NESA explanation:

A formal written examination is defined as a task such as a Half Yearly, Yearly or Trial HSC Examination completed during a designated examination period. It is undertaken individually, under supervised examination conditions and includes one or more unseen questions or items. A formal written examination is used to gather evidence about student achievement of a range of syllabus outcomes, at a point in time. A formal written examination is often in the format of an HSC examination and typically draws from most or all content areas or topics or modules completed at that point in time.

depending on how your half yearly works it could technically be a formal examination, and in that case if NESA audited your school they’d get in trouble but that’s pretty rare

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
NESA explanation:

A formal written examination is defined as a task such as a Half Yearly, Yearly or Trial HSC Examination completed during a designated examination period. It is undertaken individually, under supervised examination conditions and includes one or more unseen questions or items. A formal written examination is used to gather evidence about student achievement of a range of syllabus outcomes, at a point in time. A formal written examination is often in the format of an HSC examination and typically draws from most or all content areas or topics or modules completed at that point in time.

depending on how your half yearly works it could technically be a formal examination, and in that case if NESA audited your school they’d get in trouble but that’s pretty rare
'typically draws from most or all content areas or topics or modules completed at that point in time.'
our half yearlies were a written examination that tested us on the common module and module B (which is what we had completed at that point in time)
so this would be classed as a formal written examination right?
if so, isnt any result from this technically invalid as it violates nesa assessment procedures?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Would reporting them do anything really?
because my englidh faculty set 5 whole different assessment tasks instead of the max limit of 4.

wizzkids

HSC
The NESA rules are quite clear - only one of those written examinations can be reported to NESA as part of the school-based assessment.
That written assessment can not contribute more than 30 per cent of the school-based assessment.
Schools can conduct other written assessments if they so choose, and they can be structured like the HSC examination if they choose, but they must NOT be reported to NESA as part of the school-based assessment.

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
The NESA rules are quite clear - only one of those written examinations can be reported to NESA as part of the school-based assessment.
That written assessment can not contribute more than 30 per cent of the school-based assessment.
Schools can conduct other written assessments if they so choose, and they can be structured like the HSC examination if they choose, but they must NOT be reported to NESA as part of the school-based assessment.
so i could just straight up report them or something?

carrotsss

HSC
'typically draws from most or all content areas or topics or modules completed at that point in time.'
our half yearlies were a written examination that tested us on the common module and module B (which is what we had completed at that point in time)
so this would be classed as a formal written examination right?
if so, isnt any result from this technically invalid as it violates nesa assessment procedures?
it violates procedures but nesa won’t change marks, theyll just get annoyed w ur school if they find out (unless you complain specifically to them)

Last edited:

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Would reporting them do anything really?
because my englidh faculty set 5 whole different assessment tasks instead of the max limit of 4.
Anyone know if this would have an effect
you could try cause it would be funny but who knows what it'd do -- could be +/- depending on how they deal with it so i'd just report it after hsc
But after the hsc they wouldn’t be able to change it anyways right?
I’ll probably just report it now and if possible anonymously do my school doesn’t hate me.

carrotsss

HSC
Anyone know if this would have an effect

But after the hsc they wouldn’t be able to change it anyways right?
I’ll probably just report it now and if possible anonymously do my school doesn’t hate me.
give this a read

and this

howcanibesmarter

HSC
how about my situation:

For context these were the stated weightings on our notifications that were given and signed by us: T1: common mod was 30%, T2 Mod B was 25%, T3 (Trials) 30% (Paper1 10%, Paper 2 20%, where Mod A is 10%, rest were 5%) T4 Mod C 20%

Basically our english teachers cant do maths, as they failed to add up to 100%. If you add all of this up, it's 105% (our common mod was worth 40%, Mod A was worth 10%, Mod B was 30%, Mod C was 25%), so where did the extra 5% go?

Well, it turns out nesa requires 25% for module c, and they realised they fucked up since prior to the final mod c task there was only 20% left of weighting. So they decided to make module B from 30% to now 25%. This isn't good for me because I full marked my module B in the term2 test as well as in the trials (both 20/20 essays), so now at best my average stays the same (If I full mark the 5% that went to module c, or it goes down if I don't which is pretty likely).

The thing is they made us sign and acknowledge all the weightings and notifications when we receive it, but now they can just change the weightings for module B since they couldn't fit in the module C weightings required by nesa. The problem is some students benefit from this, and I certainly do not since I did well for my mod B tasks.

My teacher even checked and it was recorded in the school system as 30% for mod B, so it wasn't even a typo on the module B assessment notification or anything. But since they had to make space for the 5% somehow, this was the 'best' way to fix it.

I know I can't do much about it, but I'm just gutted since they shouldn't have made this mistake in the first place, and my current rank is on the verge between a 94 n 93 predicted internals which makes my atar differ by +/- 0.15 according to uac. (sorry bit of a rant)

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
did you by chance, find a detailed databse of nesa's employees and personal information, go into each address, kidnap each employee and tie them up in your basement with no water food or light for the past 3 days?
delete that right now... how did you find that out??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)