Question (1 Viewer)

toheart226

i put in my mark of 42/50 for jap ext in the sam but came out as

Band E3 Bottom 34.6% 14.3/50

i know 42 isnt a good mark for the subject but does it get scaled that bad?????

can someones pls explain how a mark of 42 ended up as 14.3??????

ioniser

HSC
read laz's threads he explains all

Believe it or not, I have a life to lead as well, and cannot sit in front of my computer all day answering questions (particularly when it's always the same questions being asked and answered).

SAM did not scale down your marks. It only looks like it did.

Look at this flowchart: http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

Raw marks are both 'aligned' by the Board of Studies and 'scaled' by the Technical Committee on Scaling.

You don't have your raw marks, so SAM can't scale them - instead, it tries to work out an equivalence between your aligned marks (the ones you got given today) and your scaled marks (the ones that have been calculated for use tomorrow).

Just because your scaled mark is lower than your aligned mark doesn't mean you've been scaled down - because it might still be higher than your raw mark. Nearly all scaled marks will be lower than the corresponding aligned mark. This is explained in the "You and Your UAI" booklet that all HSC students recently received.

Last edited:

toheart226

okai thanks...but its so much lower ...im screwd
for some reason jUAI gave me like 7 uai points more and jap ext came out as 30 seomthign out of 50

ioniser

HSC
mine only came out with a .2 difference,but sam and juai were made by different people,and on juai you can see that some times when you put the bar at a certain spot it goes red (for lack of statistics)thus in these areas comes out as a rough estimate

reprise

It really isn't that easy to work out what will happen with scaling.

A band 4 result of my daughter's (72 in Music 1) will probably be dropped for calculating her UAI and a band 3 result (52 in Business Studies) retained - because the 2 subjects are scaled differently, the band 3 result is likely to give a higher scaled mark than the band 4.

toheart226

reprise said:
It really isn't that easy to work out what will happen with scaling.

A band 4 result of my daughter's (72 in Music 1) will probably be dropped for calculating her UAI and a band 3 result (52 in Business Studies) retained - because the 2 subjects are scaled differently, the band 3 result is likely to give a higher scaled mark than the band 4.
hehe oh wells just hope the i dont get lower than what the sam predicted for me this year but by the look of it (from the news) its very unlikely

theres a huge gap between the jap results in 2003 and 2004 affects my uai by like 6 uai points ><"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)