questions about 64 bit windows xp (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wait this thread was serious?... should people be using x64 OSes when they dont know the difference?............ ...... ...... ....... i mean will it be worth it if you are using office and mostly x86 programs.. doesnt sound like he needs it...

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
if he is using 4GB he is going to need it otherwise he can only use 3.5 GB of RAM

you can always run x86 programs in an emulator anyway

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
wait this thread was serious?... should people be using x64 OSes when they dont know the difference?............ ...... ...... ....... i mean will it be worth it if you are using office and mostly x86 programs.. doesnt sound like he needs it...
Well apart from ms office and stuff i play games on my laptop too, games like gears of war, UT3, dead space..ie. which would require a good computer to run at maximum settings, something that im proud that i can do (though frames per second could be better).
Another thing im not sure of is whether there will be much difference in game performance between my current 3gb (thats being used) or 4gb (that will be used with x64).

Last edited:

chansthename

HSC
vista sp1 now shows that a computer has 4gb ram but if you have 4gb x64 is the way to go.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
if he is using 4GB he is going to need it otherwise he can only use 3.5 GB of RAM

you can always run x86 programs in an emulator anyway
yes i realise that. but the code for x64 is not optimised on most programs at all :\ so you might be worse off........ just cos on paper it 'makes sense' the reality might be very different..

like SSDs they use "less" power.. and yet in real world testing i have seen the SSD versions power down faster than HDD esp if not optimised for the system... classically XP.
im a lil too wary of hype when all your software and drivers are x86... just cos you can do it doesnt mean its a good idea.. but then again its ur computer.. :)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
chansthename said:
vista sp1 now shows that a computer has 4gb ram but if you have 4gb x64 is the way to go.
yeah shows, does not use that last 512 MB

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i wonder if windows 7 will utilize 4gb (maybe even more) of ram, or if there will have to be 32bit and 64bit versions of the new os to do this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)