questions about b business textbooks and study (please help!!) (1 Viewer)

waterlml

HSC
sorry for so many questions but just little confused 1. "All students are advised that lectures and workshops begin the week of February 23." by workshop does that mean tutorial?? cos in my timetable it says tutorial and none of my classes titled workshop 0_0

2. SHOULD we buy all the required texts for the course? or for some we could just study and rely on the lecture notes (i really want to get good grades at uni /_\)
here are the required texts for the autumn sem and i would be appreciated if someone could tell me which book i need to/should buy and which one i don't

Economics for Business:
Gans, Joshua, Stephen King, Robin Stonecash and N Gregory Mankiw, Principles of Economics, 6th edition, 2015, Cengage Learning, Australia

Integrating Business Perspectives:
Custom Publication (2013) Integrating Business Perspectives 3e, Mcgraw-Hill.
Barron, M (2015) Fundamentals of Business Law, McGraw-Hill, Edition 1.

Business Statistics:
Business Statistics: Australia New Zealand, 6th Edition, Selvanathan/Keller, Edition 6, ISBN: 978-0170237000

Accounting for Business Decisions A
1) Tyler, J., Godwin, N. and Alderman, C., ACCT Financial: Asia Pacific Edition, 1st Edition, Cengage, 2013 and
Sivabalan, P., Sawyers, R., Jackson, S. and Jenkins, G., ACCT Managerial: Asia Pacific Edition, 1st Edition, Cengage,
2) Barron, M.L. Fundamentals of Business Law (for University of Technology, Sydney), McGraw Hill, 2014.

3. i'm super stressful right now and so worried that i will fall behind, what should i do to make sure i catch up everyday's classes and should i study everyday and read everything in student online everyday ? (like 30 mins- 1 hr i don't know) never been that stressful in my life :(

4. what should i bring to class? will a writing book (like high school ones) and a pen enough? should i take some notes during lecture or just pay attention ?? (i don't want to be that only weird person who keeps writing :(

Last edited:

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
1. Check that you're completely enrolled, if so then tutes are your workshops.

2. Wait for the first lecture for all of your units and determine what you should buy and what you don't really need.

3. Everyone's different, but take notes, then revise those notes later, and then to cement into long-term memory you'll want to go through and expand. Study a bit every day.

4. Just a book and a pen and take notes. You don't need to keep writing, you just note the important stuff, leave a bunch of space and expand on it later after class.

raisondetre1

HSC
N/A
From my personal experience, definitely get a hold of the accounting textbooks. Trust me, you will not survive without them and you need it if you decide to dedicate 10% of your overall mark to homework (I highly recommend that you do it). If you did economics for HSC then you probably won't need the textbook. Similarly for business statistics, if you're a dab hand at math then don't waste your money, however I must say, the textbook does help a lot, fantastic at math or not. IBP textbook = useless. The content is pretty straightforward and if you want to get that HD, getting a good group helps.

EDIT: The Barron law textbook is only useful for the contracts bit of IBP (you'll see what I mean later on in the semester) and not really for accounting so I wouldn't bother with it. Just borrow it from the library.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much... start your assignments early, do your homework (even if it's not compulsory) and ask/email your lecturers and tutors questions if you get confused (something I regret not doing in first year) - they are generally really nice. I usually print out lecture notes before the lecture and write notes on it.

Disclaimer: That said, it really depends on how you study! Good luck!!

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
sorry for so many questions but just little confused 1. "All students are advised that lectures and workshops begin the week of February 23." by workshop does that mean tutorial?? cos in my timetable it says tutorial and none of my classes titled workshop 0_0

2. SHOULD we buy all the required texts for the course? or for some we could just study and rely on the lecture notes (i really want to get good grades at uni /_\)
here are the required texts for the autumn sem and i would be appreciated if someone could tell me which book i need to/should buy and which one i don't

Economics for Business:
Gans, Joshua, Stephen King, Robin Stonecash and N Gregory Mankiw, Principles of Economics, 6th edition, 2015, Cengage Learning, Australia

Integrating Business Perspectives:
Custom Publication (2013) Integrating Business Perspectives 3e, Mcgraw-Hill.
Barron, M (2015) Fundamentals of Business Law, McGraw-Hill, Edition 1.

Business Statistics:
Business Statistics: Australia New Zealand, 6th Edition, Selvanathan/Keller, Edition 6, ISBN: 978-0170237000

1) Tyler, J., Godwin, N. and Alderman, C., ACCT Financial: Asia Pacific Edition, 1st Edition, Cengage, 2013 and
Sivabalan, P., Sawyers, R., Jackson, S. and Jenkins, G., ACCT Managerial: Asia Pacific Edition, 1st Edition, Cengage,
2) Barron, M.L. Fundamentals of Business Law (for University of Technology, Sydney), McGraw Hill, 2014.

3. i'm super stressful right now and so worried that i will fall behind, what should i do to make sure i catch up everyday's classes and should i study everyday and read everything in student online everyday ? (like 30 mins- 1 hr i don't know) never been that stressful in my life :(

4. what should i bring to class? will a writing book (like high school ones) and a pen enough? should i take some notes during lecture or just pay attention ?? (i don't want to be that only weird person who keeps writing :(
IBP = useless , doesn't help much at all

Accouting = get the textbooks (there are excercises and great explanations )

MPO = unsure..., some get it , some don't
Marketing = don't get the textbook as the slides are sufficient (just get the Q's off your friend )

waterlml

HSC
From my personal experience, definitely get a hold of the accounting textbooks. Trust me, you will not survive without them and you need it if you decide to dedicate 10% of your overall mark to homework (I highly recommend that you do it). If you did economics for HSC then you probably won't need the textbook. Similarly for business statistics, if you're a dab hand at math then don't waste your money, however I must say, the textbook does help a lot, fantastic at math or not. IBP textbook = useless. The content is pretty straightforward and if you want to get that HD, getting a good group helps.

EDIT: The Barron law textbook is only useful for the contracts bit of IBP (you'll see what I mean later on in the semester) and not really for accounting so I wouldn't bother with it. Just borrow it from the library.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much... start your assignments early, do your homework (even if it's not compulsory) and ask/email your lecturers and tutors questions if you get confused (something I regret not doing in first year) - they are generally really nice. I usually print out lecture notes before the lecture and write notes on it.

Disclaimer: That said, it really depends on how you study! Good luck!!
thanks, i will wait after the first lecture and see. btw does the business statistics helps a lot?

waterlml

HSC
IBP = useless , doesn't help much at all

Accouting = get the textbooks (there are excercises and great explanations )

MPO = unsure..., some get it , some don't
Marketing = don't get the textbook as the slides are sufficient (just get the Q's off your friend )
thanks!! it seems like everyone recommends the accounting books :)

waterlml

HSC
btw can i leave classes(lecture) earlier cos i have 3 classes in a row on thu omg ?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
What is the textbook for accounting ?

I heard it's something called ACCT financial and managerial

raisondetre1

HSC
N/A
thanks, i will wait after the first lecture and see. btw does the business statistics helps a lot?
I take that back - didn't realise the textbook changed! Maybe take a quick look at it in the library to see if it's useful enough to buy it.

btw can i leave classes(lecture) earlier cos i have 3 classes in a row on thu omg ?
Sure but if one of those lectures is accounting then make sure you do it behind Tyler's back. And you better leg it fast unless you're sitting near the exits. Just FYI he gets pissed off when people leave early. A friend of mine had the unfortunate experience of being one of his victims.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Lectures tend to finish 10-15 minutes earlier than the ''timetabled'' finish time. You'll have time to go to the next class.

E.g. If your lecture is meant to finish at 12pm, it'll most likely finish at around 11.40 - 11.50 am.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, but having class after class is the norm. In first sem everyone is hesitant to schedule classes in that way, but it's really not a problem and usually results in the best timetables.

waterlml

HSC
I take that back - didn't realise the textbook changed! Maybe take a quick look at it in the library to see if it's useful enough to buy it.

Sure but if one of those lectures is accounting then make sure you do it behind Tyler's back. And you better leg it fast unless you're sitting near the exits. Just FYI he gets pissed off when people leave early. A friend of mine had the unfortunate experience of being one of his victims.
ok and just found out the one i have to leave early is accounting lecture 0_0.......not sure what should i do, i need at least ten mins to walk to the next building for tut

waterlml

HSC
What is the textbook for accounting ?

I heard it's something called ACCT financial and managerial

^??

waterlml

HSC
managed to change my timetable @@ now i have two tuts in a row so is it appropriate to leave tut early too?? the two rooms are like 2.45 and 2.46....not sure if they're located next to each other.....

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
ya i bought all da textbooks ^^. even when people say it useless, its not like you will lose much value for it as you can sell it back for same price or so..

waterlml

HSC
i feel like everyone just starts buying all the textbooks for their subjects at co op lol from what i've seen at least

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
i feel like everyone just starts buying all the textbooks for their subjects at co op lol from what i've seen at least
Cause nobody is used to buying second-hand until they realise it's the same thing but cheaper (when they only use the book for a semester)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)