Questions about courses/admissions. (1 Viewer)

bhatman

HSC
I achieved an ATAR of 99.40 this year and had a number of options in mind for study next year, so I have a few questions based on my UAC preferences and other uni-specific things.
1. My priority preference was to get into Usyd law, but seeing as though even with the lowered cutoff my ATAR is still 0.1 lower, is there any chance I would receive an offer? I'd rather not get my hopes up and try and ensure I get an offer in another degree in the main round if I realistically have next to no chance of receiving an offer.
2. Similarly is there a chance I could make it into UNSW law? For both degrees I have heaps of extra-curriculars and received awards recognising them, however am I correct in stating that unis do not consider anything other than ATAR unless you have an interview of some sorts?
3. My next preference was B Comm/B Sci (Adv) at Usyd under the Science Talented Students Program. Seeing as though I've met the criterion for admission to this program and previously attended a briefing/introductory day of sorts, should I expect to receive an offer for this? If so does anyone know when the Faculty of Science releases these offers.
Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW law - most likely. EAS helps a lot at UNSW. My friend got 97.9 got into arts/law UNSW with EAS, just like a guy on BOS who does comm/law. Do Comm/Law at UNSW- that'll take you places.

At USYD they have that subject bonus thingy. I'm assuming you're an all rounder, so you're likely to get an additional 5 points.

You can expect any offer tbh. Just list the course you want MOST first, then so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
you get 9 preferences. you're bound to hit one with that ATAR.

bhatman

HSC
UNSW law - most likely. EAS helps a lot at UNSW. My friend got 97.9 got into arts/law UNSW with EAS, just like a guy on BOS who does comm/law. Do Comm/Law at UNSW- that'll take you places.

At USYD they have that subject bonus thingy. I'm assuming you're an all rounder, so you're likely to get an additional 5 points.

You can expect any offer tbh. Just list the course you want MOST first, then so on.

REALLY!? I was under the idea that law cut-offs were quite strict. Knowing that it's one of the degrees that only accepts limited bonus points (especially at USyd, and I haven't applied for EAS because I don't think I apply to any of the conditions and want to get into my degree on my own merits), I thought my chances were gone. Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks for that :)
But realistically, do you think I'm more likely to get an offer from UNSW or USyd?

bhatman

HSC
you get 9 preferences. you're bound to hit one with that ATAR.
Mhmm I definitely know I'll get B Comm/ B Sci(Adv) seeing as though I comfortably exceeded the cut off, just curious as to my chances of law since I haven't hit the ATAR cut off and when (or if) I'll get an offer for TSP.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
REALLY!? I was under the idea that law cut-offs were quite strict. Knowing that it's one of the degrees that only accepts limited bonus points (especially at USyd, and I haven't applied for EAS because I don't think I apply to any of the conditions and want to get into my degree on my own merits), I thought my chances were gone. Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks for that :)
But realistically, do you think I'm more likely to get an offer from UNSW or USyd?
Okay, just done research and found out USYD don't offer bonus points for LAW.

And since you haven't applied for EAS, I now reckon USYD will most likely accept you since you're 0.1 off, and they've actually offered more places this year (which is why they've lowered the cut-off).

I reckon USYD mate. But, as I said, still put the one you want as your first. They give your prefs equal consideration from my understanding.

If not USYD, UTS is good. RoT does it, and by the looks of it, he seems to enjoy it!

bhatman

HSC
Okay, just done research and found out USYD don't offer bonus points for LAW.

And since you haven't applied for EAS, I now reckon USYD will most likely accept you since you're 0.1 off, and they've actually offered more places this year (which is why they've lowered the cut-off).

I reckon USYD mate. But, as I said, still put the one you want as your first. They give your prefs equal consideration from my understanding.

If not USYD, UTS is good. RoT does it, and by the looks of it, he seems to enjoy it!

okay, that's great! thanks for the help :) wish you all the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)