Questions about HSC Mark Moderation (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
Questions about HSC mark moderation :)

So i remember someone telling me that in the hsc, all your subjects are scaled/moderated against how well you do in English.
Is this true, and if so how does this work?

Another question/scenario:
I'd say my cohort is really smart at maths + sciences, but as a whole, it seems that we're not great at english.
SO we have the potential to do really well in the hsc and redeem our school rankings, but if the majority of people don't do exceptionally at english, does this mean our marks in other subjects would be affected, so we wouldn't rank as high as we could?

& sorry if everything i'm saying is just based on some rubbish rumour

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: Questions about HSC mark moderation :)

So i remember someone telling me that in the hsc, all your subjects are scaled/moderated against how well you do in English.
Is this true, and if so how does this work?

Another question/scenario:
I'd say my cohort is really smart at maths + sciences, but as a whole, it seems that we're not great at english.
SO we have the potential to do really well in the hsc and redeem our school rankings, but if the majority of people don't do exceptionally at english, does this mean our marks in other subjects would be affected, so we wouldn't rank as high as we could?

& sorry if everything i'm saying is just based on some rubbish rumour
Err... I can go into some depth but basically since everyone does English - they use it to see how well certain groups of people are academically.

So you'll find MX2 people do better in English state-wide than Gen. Maths people and you see that as a general trend across the common subjects that MX2 and Gen. Maths people take - so MX2 is scaled higher. They do that with all the subjects.

Your second question... what? "Redeem school rankings"? Your mark in one subject is NOT affected by how you go in another subject. Seriously. Those inter-subject things only occur when scaling is involved for ATARs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)