Questions about Maths Standard 1 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've heard that Maths Standard 1 is a non-ATAR subject and I don't think I am doing very well in Maths (Average grade is probably a D). I do not know if it is a good idea to do it for the HSC. I think my school also restricts people from doing different levels of Maths (even in standard) but for the purpose of this thread let's say that they allow me to choose between Maths Standard 1 and 2. Would it be a good idea to do it? Is there any chance I could still get an ATAR?

I am thinking of going to University and thinking of teaching, journalism and also have plans to serve in the Australian Defence Force.

My subjects starting next term will be: (excluding Maths)
English Standard (2 Units)
Japanese Continuers (2 Units)
Food Technology (2 Units)
Economics (2 Units)
Studies in Catholic Thought (1 CAT. B and compulsory)
Photography, Video and Digital Imaging (CAT. B DROPPED IN YEAR 12)

Thank you for your time.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I've heard that Maths Standard 1 is a non-ATAR subject and I don't think I am doing very well in Maths (Average grade is probably a D). I do not know if it is a good idea to do it for the HSC. I think my school also restricts people from doing different levels of Maths (even in standard) but for the purpose of this thread let's say that they allow me to choose between Maths Standard 1 and 2. Would it be a good idea to do it? Is there any chance I could still get an ATAR?

I am thinking of going to University and thinking of teaching, journalism and also have plans to serve in the Australian Defence Force.

My subjects starting next term will be: (excluding Maths)
English Standard (2 Units)
Japanese Continuers (2 Units)
Food Technology (2 Units)
Economics (2 Units)
Studies in Catholic Thought (1 CAT. B and compulsory)
Photography, Video and Digital Imaging (CAT. B DROPPED IN YEAR 12)

Thank you for your time.
What role are you planning to do in the ADF? You should be fine with any level of maths if you're applying for non-officer ranks and the role is non-technical. The only roles I can think of with certain maths "prerequisites" would be engineering, intelligence, cybersecurity and pilot roles (up to maths adv, ext preferred). Seeing your interests, I doubt you would be interested in logistics, aviation or technical roles in the ADF so other than that you should be fine as long as you have passes Year 10 English and Maths. You should also consider the fitness requirements of the ADF, the air force has the most lenient physical requirements but has less combat roles and the army has the hardest fitness requirements but has the most combat roles. You can see the requirements in the ADF website for yourself.

Maths Standard 1 should be fine as a filler unit just to get your ATAR.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you take Mathematics Standard 1, and choose not to sit the HSC exam for this subject, you will not be eligible for an ATAR.

NESA states:

The Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) is issued by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). The ATAR is based on an aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of ATAR courses comprising:
  • 2 units of English
  • the best 8 units from the remaining units, which can include no more than two units of Category B courses.
As shown in the diagram below, you are still eligible to receive your Higher School Certificate (HSC) if you choose not to sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination, but will not be eligible to receive an ATAR, unless you choose to sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination.

1631193207914.png

Other information about Mathematics Standard 1 includes:
  • Grades (A – E) will be used to report school-based assessment in HSC Mathematics Standard 1, instead of assessment marks.
  • HSC examination results in Mathematics Standard 1 will be reported using unique HSC performance band descriptions that differ from those used to report achievement in Mathematics Standard 2.
If you wish to receive an ATAR, which you will likely need if your intention is to pursue tertiary study beyond the HSC (even if unrelated to maths), you will need to either sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination, or take Mathematics Standard 2.

Further information about Mathematics Standard 1 can be accessed here:

I hope this helps! 😄

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
If you take Mathematics Standard 1, and choose not to sit the HSC exam for this subject, you will not be eligible for an ATAR.

NESA states:

The Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) is issued by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). The ATAR is based on an aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of ATAR courses comprising:
  • 2 units of English
  • the best 8 units from the remaining units, which can include no more than two units of Category B courses.
As shown in the diagram below, you are still eligible to receive your Higher School Certificate (HSC) if you choose not to sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination, but will not be eligible to receive an ATAR, unless you choose to sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination.

View attachment 32046

Other information about Mathematics Standard 1 includes:
  • Grades (A – E) will be used to report school-based assessment in HSC Mathematics Standard 1, instead of assessment marks.
  • HSC examination results in Mathematics Standard 1 will be reported using unique HSC performance band descriptions that differ from those used to report achievement in Mathematics Standard 2.
If you wish to receive an ATAR, which you will likely need if your intention is to pursue tertiary study beyond the HSC (even if unrelated to maths), you will need to either sit the Mathematics Standard 1 HSC examination, or take Mathematics Standard 2.

Further information about Mathematics Standard 1 can be accessed here:

I hope this helps! 😄
Is maths standard 1 not a category B course?
Edit: oh i read it wrong my bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)