• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions about studying law (1 Viewer)

SpongeHead

HSC
Hey guys,

I've received an offer for UNSW Combined law which I am transferring into after doing 2 years of another degree. The thing is, I don't really know what to expect once uni actually starts. Are we expected to know anything about law or do they start from scratch in foundations and cover the basics from the top? I didn't do legal studies in high school or anything like that so I don't really know much if not anything concerning the subject at the moment.

Also a lot of people have been telling me that law is only good for people who are quick on their feet - ie those who are quick thinking, are able to gather info quickly, digest it, and remember it within a few seconds.... I can gather and digest info but it usually takes me sometime to understand and digest facts, so I don't know if I fit the expectation that law students should be on the ball at all times... Even though I got into unsw law, I also feel kind of intimidated. Do all the srudents at this law school have super-human intelligence, debating skills, etc etc (I'm guessing they do seeing as though this is the top law school in Aust)? If so, I think I'm going to be a loner, sitting by myself trying to understand the first page of the tectbook while the rest of the clas is already on the 4th chapter :( lol :eek:

litany

Helpfool
HSC
Hey buddy.

First of all, don't put yourself down like that! Like you, I'm also transferring into Combined Law @ UNSW this year. I've never quite heard of what you've described here - mainly the bit about law for the quick-witted. All I know is that yes, that sounds like it would be an advantageous characteristic to have, but then, isn't that the case with all courses? I can however tell you that I had a lot of friends who did combined law last year (2008 first year students) and that no, they do not have super-human intelligence. They are definitely smart but their performance comes from studying wisely, rather than being able to pick up concepts on the ball.

Most of them did not do legal studies during high school and seemed to have no problems with the course, apart from the inevitable, periodical whining session. ;)

Take it easy!

Koolak

HSC
It helps to be quick-witted in all aspects of life. Especially in law

As for not doing legal studies, do not stress. I did it. It's a joke of a course. Really, a complete joke. I say this as one who got a state rank in the Top 5. If Law were like Legal Studs I could study on the night before exams and get a similar mark. This will not be the case.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

As for not doing legal studies, do not stress. I did it. It's a joke of a course. Really, a complete joke. I say this as one who got a state rank in the Top 5. If Law were like Legal Studs I could study on the night before exams and get a similar mark. This will not be the case.

Good to know that Legal Studies doesn't give people a head-start :p
Oh well, Foundations of Law here we come! Bring it on!

SpongeHead

HSC
Hey buddy.

First of all, don't put yourself down like that! Like you, I'm also transferring into Combined Law @ UNSW this year. I've never quite heard of what you've described here - mainly the bit about law for the quick-witted. All I know is that yes, that sounds like it would be an advantageous characteristic to have, but then, isn't that the case with all courses? I can however tell you that I had a lot of friends who did combined law last year (2008 first year students) and that no, they do not have super-human intelligence. They are definitely smart but their performance comes from studying wisely, rather than being able to pick up concepts on the ball.

Most of them did not do legal studies during high school and seemed to have no problems with the course, apart from the inevitable, periodical whining session. ;)

Take it easy!

Haha yeah I think I am worrying a bit too much about it all. You're right though, if you study wisely and use your time well, then you will be rewarded with great marks. Thanks for your advice man - now to enjoy the final two weeks of the break before uni begins...

SpongeHead

HSC

Ahh that is good to hear. Since I started this thread, a lot of other people have also told me that legal studies is not a "prerequisite" so to speak for LLB. But getting ranked in the Top 5 in the state is still really good, even if the course is a joke

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)