Questions about tablets (1 Viewer)

Hannelore

HSC
Hello :)

I am thinking about purchasing a tablet for uni and have a few questions (some of which are probably quite basic :eek: )

Basically, I would like to have something simple enough to access wifi internet and do the basic internet things, e.g. checking email, uni blackboard site, and downloading/viewing things like online lectures/notes like word documents and pdfs.

I would also like something cheap :lol: So I'm not looking to splurge on an ipad or something that's the cost of a laptop. I already have a laptop but I want something light and portable for uni.

Would the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" WiFi Tablet be suitable for this? (detail from officeworks: http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-8-wifi-tablet-white-sysg38ww16)

So it says that it "equips you with everything you need to "do the everyday" - from accessing and updating your calendars, browsing the web, keeping in touch via email and social media or playing games. The value added apps bonus allows you to explore Samsung Apps and entertain yourself or the whole family with movies, music, TV & educational content" so I guess basic internet use is covered, but I am not too sure about things like office documents? Can it open things like microsoft word/pdfs? Or would I need to purchase a microsoft office?

Or could any of you suggest a different option? :)

Thank you :)

HSC
I actually like that tablet, it looks very convenient to take to multiple places. Microsoft office can be downloaded from the Google Play store for free
It depends if that would suit you and you can buy extra accessories too. If I were to get one, I would also buy a Bluetooth keyboard and standing case

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
From what I've seen, the Galaxy Tab 3 sucks. I reckon the Nexus Tablets are decently priced as well as fast. You should get a tablet with a keyboard connector such as Asus Transformer for more efficiency though.

Intrinsic

HSC
From what I've seen, the Galaxy Tab 3 sucks. I reckon the Nexus Tablets are decently priced as well as fast. You should get a tablet with a keyboard connector such as Asus Transformer for more efficiency though.
Hi, I'm on the same boat as OP - could you please elaborate on why it sucks? I'm planning on buying one of these ... I just wanna ensure I don't regret this purchase

Flop21

HSC
How does someone work on a tablet, I will never understand.

Why not get a chromebook?? I think it will be impossible to actually work on something without a proper keyboard, especially for university.

Hannelore

HSC
How does someone work on a tablet, I will never understand.

Why not get a chromebook?? I think it will be impossible to actually work on something without a proper keyboard, especially for university.
Sorry, I neglected to mention that I don't actually plan to do a lot of work on it, it's more to have something where I can quickly look up things,\ (e.g. check/double check emails, see if online lectures are available) or have readings saved that I could read on the train/between classes if it's too long to print out a paper copy to read. I would not be doing much actual work like writing essays and such on it :) Couldn't stand to do that without a proper keyboard! But I would want the ability to open and view things like documents and pdf's and do the occasional typing thing.

I like being able to use my laptop at uni but it's so big and heavy and I don't do a lot of 'work' work on it so I thought that a tablet might be a better option.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Sorry, I neglected to mention that I don't actually plan to do a lot of work on it, it's more to have something where I can quickly look up things,\ (e.g. check/double check emails, see if online lectures are available) or have readings saved that I could read on the train/between classes if it's too long to print out a paper copy to read. I would not be doing much actual work like writing essays and such on it :) Couldn't stand to do that without a proper keyboard! But I would want the ability to open and view things like documents and pdf's and do the occasional typing thing.

I like being able to use my laptop at uni but it's so big and heavy and I don't do a lot of 'work' work on it so I thought that a tablet might be a better option.
A surface would do the job...

Hannelore

HSC
I actually like that tablet, it looks very convenient to take to multiple places. Microsoft office can be downloaded from the Google Play store for free
It depends if that would suit you and you can buy extra accessories too. If I were to get one, I would also buy a Bluetooth keyboard and standing case
For free, really? O.O I thought that software required an (expensive) license, like the way you do it with a computer/laptop.

Well, most tablets (at least the 7-8 inch ones) look very convenient, but I am hoping to get the best one I can given my budget :) Definitely good to hear that microsoft office can be downloaded, thanks for the tip :)

Hannelore

HSC
Can you be specific regarding how it sucks, please? XD

Thanks for mentioning that option :)

Hannelore

HSC
u should get a chrome book
I had never actually heard of a chrome book before. Hmm, maybe...How would opening office documents/pdf's work? Can you download a way to view them or is the software already in the chrome book?

EDIT: It's a bit pricier than I would have hoped so unless it's significantly better I probably won't. Thank you for the suggestion though :)

Last edited:

Hannelore

HSC
A surface would do the job...
Thanks, but based off the prices of a surface at JB Hi Fi I think it's way more than I would want to spend right now. Wouldn't any of the cheaper tablets do the job?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Thanks, but based off the prices of a surface at JB Hi Fi I think it's way more than I would want to spend right now. Wouldn't any of the cheaper tablets do the job?
It really depends, do you have a tight budget?

Hannelore

HSC
It really depends, do you have a tight budget?
I'm still crunching numbers, but if a surface is about $900-$2000 (unless I am looking for the wrong thing? You mean something like this, right? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/surface/ ) then I guess I am on a tight budget XD Most of the tablet's that I was looking at ranged from about $160 - $300 (e.g. samsung galaxy, pendopad, ipad mini) which is probably what I would be looking to spend, but if the cheaper one's are really not what I am looking for than I would be better off not buying at all, at least until I can save for something decent :)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I'm still crunching numbers, but if a surface is about $900-$2000 (unless I am looking for the wrong thing? You mean something like this, right? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/surface/ ) then I guess I am on a tight budget XD Most of the tablet's that I was looking at ranged from about $160 - $300 (e.g. samsung galaxy, pendopad, ipad mini) which is probably what I would be looking to spend, but if the cheaper one's are really not what I am looking for than I would be better off not buying at all, at least until I can save for something decent :)
Tbh if I were you with that budget, I would get the iPad mini no questions asked.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can try to spring for at least an iPad Mini 2 - it may not have the Touch ID of Mini 3 but at least performance wise it should be good for a lot longer.

Hannelore

HSC
Thank you for all the input :) I actually purchased an ACER W1-810 32GB Windows 8 Tablet from Dick Smith yesterday. It's $80 off original price ($168 down from $248) which was pretty much spot on with how much I was willing to spend; I really don't think that I could have splurged any more than $250-$300 and so far it seems perfect for what I needed. Although I really only needed pretty basic things anyway; wifi enabled, able to open Microsoft office files etc (although the microsoft office will of course need to be renewed in a year, but that's okay :) ) I really like it so far; the size and weight is good and I find it pretty easy to use/navigate.

Just thought I would mention in case anyone else was interested; the sale lasts at Dick Smith until 9th March

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/tablets/acer-w1-810-32gb-windows-8-tablet-dsau-ta8076

Thanks again for all the input :) If money had not been an issue I probably would have gone for something more along the lines of the suggestions here, but I think this was good enough for what I needed for a pretty good price.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough. You planning to get a bluetooth keyboard/stand? I find that's where the productivity use of a tablet with Office really shines.

Don't forget uni students can get Office 365 for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)