Questions about university (1 Viewer)

Squirrel

Only people who go to university can answer my questions.

So do people have backpacks or what? coz i like still having my backpack

also, do people think you're a gronk if you bring your own lunch in a lunch box. i still like to eat my daily sandwich without getting looked down upon and food is so expensive to buy.

also.
when i go in there on the first day into a lecture place, would it be accpetable to just sit next to someone who is by themself and just talk to them. or are they by themself for a reason. would i be intruding on their privacy.
also do people just come up and talk to you.

at uni do strangers talk to eachother on the bus and train on the way there.

if i ride my bike from central, is there somewhere i can leave it?

i realise this wasnt the most structured post but im sick.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just go with the flow...

Use the style of bag that fulfills your needs...

The larger part of the student body seems to bring meals prepared at home (for the 10 that you see buying food, another 100 will have something in their bag). I cannot see a problem with this when all students are meant to be cheap due to fending for themselves in the real world.

Sitting next to another person and initiating the conversation is fine. I for one had to rely on those people given that I have next to no skill at meeting people on my own.

Bike racks should be available at all universities.

So, in other words, just do as you see fit, and you cannot go wrong.

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
a lot of students still use backpacks to uni..

most people do bring their own lunch from home..

starting a convo with someone should be fine.. thats the only way you'll meet new people.

yes sometimes people do come up + talk to ya

well sometimes if people are doing the same course or go to the same uni, they might talk on the bus/train

bike racks should be found at the entrance of the uni.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Lots of people have bikes, since cars are even worse for debt than HECS... I just saw the bikerack outside UTS today, plenty full. Backpacks are used a lot because they DON'T ruin your spine, unlike the trendy crap you see everywhere. Talking to people is the norm, though I admit I get a little annoyed when people talk to me because I'm antisocial. Just ignore people like me and move on, you'll know when you've found someone to stick with.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey, with talking to people next to you...
the lecture halls are pretty big right...so arent their going to be a lot of empty seats? so would it be rude to go and sit next to someone when theres like entire rows still left?? or are each n every seat filled?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
hey, with talking to people next to you...
the lecture halls are pretty big right...so arent their going to be a lot of empty seats? so would it be rude to go and sit next to someone when theres like entire rows still left?? or are each n every seat filled?

that depends on the lecture and the time its on. the earlier and midday lectures for some courses are jam packed, while the lecture of the same course but in the arvo can be pretty bare. i'd say the best time to talk to a stranger is right before the lecture when you are all waiting outside of the lecture room waiting for the last lecture to end. that way you won't have that awkwardness of 'invading' someones private space by sitting next to them in a not so crowded lecture hall.

and as natstar said, you will meet people in your tutes who go to your lectures so...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh
that depends on the lecture and the time its on. the earlier and midday lectures for some courses are jam packed, while the lecture of the same course but in the arvo can be pretty bare.
i wont have that problem, we dont have multiple lecture times, only tute/lab times are variable

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Early = good. I have discovered that some lecturers abhor the amplification equipment, and prefer to walk around and simply project their voices. This is very bad news for people up the back (unless they chose the back so they could concentrate on things other than the lecture). So yeah, try to get in early and sit close to the front.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
...I'm antisocial. Just ignore people like me and move on, you'll know when you've found someone to stick with.
LoL, ur completely different in these forums- u love talking. :D

yeah, i reckon another way to meet ppl. is thru the clubs and societies. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
There is no need to rush for seats at the front of a lecture theatre... Most of the time it is from row 10 to 15 on where the bulk of the student body is to be found.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
what does a tut class room actually look like?
is it like the sience labs in school where people work in little groups?

Squirrel

yes,

and another thing

do you bring your bag / backpack into the lecture room?

and how often do bikes get stolen from the bike racks (yes i want accurate statistics) do people generally stop stealing when they get to uni

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Originally posted by Squirrel

do people generally stop stealing when they get to uni
unfortunately not... there's no guarantees.

Just keep a close eye on your stuff and secure it thoroughly wherever possible...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ms 12
Ive gotta get in early and get the left hander seats!
same as me, but theres times that ive got lectures straight after tutes and stuff, so im hoping my lecturers will like being very late

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)