Questions and Answers (1 Viewer)

Dr_Doom

HSC
Hi, I wrote the introduction to some of the essay questions about journeys I found I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong...?

Question 1:

You have been invited to speak at the book launch of a new collection of texts entitled "Representations of the Journey".

In your speech, explain and assess the ways in which the journey is represented in the texts included in the collection.

My Answer:

Good evening everyone,

I am going to talk to you tonight about the various ways in which physical journeys can be encountered in our everyday lives. The impact they have on us, and the choices we make which influence which path we take on a journey. We all taken physical journeys for various purposes and reasons, whether it going up to the shops to but groceries or travelling overseas to visit a sick relative. Either way, we all take journeys. The journeys shown in Peter Skrzynecki's poems, Migrant Hostel and Immigrants at Central Station, 1951 present us with a deeper understanding of the physical journey, and some of the consequences we may face along the way. These journeys directly relate to Robert Frost's poem, The Road Not Taken and Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney. These authors represent their journeys in a variety of ways through the use of techniques and style of writing. The techniques include, allusion, metaphors, personification, simile and also rhyming schemes to assist in the easy flowing and analysis of these texts. The representation of journeys in these texts give meaning and directly relate to us as the responder.

Question 2:

"The journey, not the arrival, matters"

Discuss this statement, focusing on how composers of texts represent the concept of journeys.

My Answer:

The purpose of one's journey may not be to reach their destination, but to have experiences which give them understanding about the journey or even about themselves or the world. Sometimes the arrival is not as expected and the individual must face the consequences. Such as in Peter Skrzynecki's poems, Migrant Hostel and Immigrants at Central Station, 1951. These poems describe the journey the migrants took rather than the destination they reached. These journeys relate to The Road Not Taken, a poem by Robert Frost and Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney. The composer represents the concepts of jounreys through a variety of techniques including, allusion, symbolism, similes and imagery. In these texts, it is the journey that matters, not the arrival.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I have some more Questions and Answers...

Question 3:

'Life is a journey, whether you like it or not - so you might as well learn something along the way'.

How well does this reflect your study of the journey.

My Answer:

The journey of life involves many experiences, some will be positive and some will be negative. Either way, all experiences will be beneficial to yourself as they will extend your understanding of life and the world, physically, intellectually and emotionally. Some of the negative experiences of a journey are illustrated through Peter Skrzynecki's poems, Immigrants at Central Station, 1951 and Migrant Hostel. The understanding of experiences can also be seen through The Road Not Taken, a poem by Robert Frost and Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney. The authors use several techniques to portray to the audience the journey undertaken and what can be learnt along the way. They illustrate the meaning of journeys and give understanding of the positives and negatives of life as a journey.

Question 4:

You have been asked to speak at the farewell assembly for Year 12, 2004, on the subject of 'Life as a journey'.

My Answer:

Good evening Year 12,

As I stand before you, I see a group of people who are undertaking a journey, the journey of life. For some of you, a journey is coming to an end, and another one is just beginning. Whichever it is, the journey of your life continues as you make the right choices in life to reach your goals. 'Life as a journey' is a statement that expresses the way you live, what you experience, the choices you make and the outcome of these choices. The journey you are experiencing can be seen in the poems, Immigrants at Central Station, 1951 and Migrant Hostel by Peter Skrzynecki. Also can be found in Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney and The Road Not Taken, a poem by Robert Frost. These authors use several techniques to express a view of journeys onto the responder which will in turn develop their own view of journeys. So sit back, relax, and let me encapsulate you in the various forms of a physical journey in which we all undertake in our lives.

Question 5:

An online publisher has approached you to recommend some texts for a website about 'The Journey'.

Write a report recommending (or not recommending) the texts you have studied.

My answer:

Dear publisher,

I have studied a range of texts that deal with physical journeys and many concepts which they contain. They provide a deep meaning in conveying certain aspects of journeys, such as in Peter Skrzynecki's poems, Immigrants at Central Station, 1951 and Migrant Hostel. Similarly in Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney and The Road Not Taken, a poem by Robert Frost, the concepts of physical journeys are also shown. 'The Journey' is conveyed to the responder effectively and skillfully through the use of a variety of techniques, such as alliteration, imagery, irony and metaphors. I recommend these texts fully as they have influenced my understanding about 'The Journey' and the many concepts within them.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Question 3:

'Life is a journey, whether you like it or not - so you might as well learn something along the way'.

How well does this reflect your study of the journey.

My Answer:

The journey of life involves many experiences, some will be positive and some will be negative. Either way, all experiences will be beneficial to yourself as they will extend your understanding of life and the world, physically, intellectually and emotionally. Some of the negative experiences of a journey are illustrated through Peter Skrzynecki's poems, Immigrants at Central Station, 1951 and Migrant Hostel. The understanding of experiences can also be seen through The Road Not Taken, a poem by Robert Frost and Dust on my Shoes, a multimedia presentation by Peter Pinney. The authors use several techniques to portray to the audience the journey undertaken and what can be learnt along the way. They illustrate the meaning of journeys and give understanding of the positives and negatives of life as a journey.
Just roughly reading through that, I wouldn't use the word "yourself". Find a better word, it makes the essay to personal.

Anyway I have a politics essay to write. I might come back on later and have a better look.

Just stay away from personalised words within essays.

Dr_Doom

HSC
mattsta said:
Just roughly reading through that, I wouldn't use the word "yourself". Find a better word, it makes the essay to personal.

Anyway I have a politics essay to write. I might come back on later and have a better look.

Just stay away from personalised words within essays.
Thanks.. Like this maybe:

Either way, all experiences will be beneficial, as they extend understanding of life and the world, physically, intellectually and emotionally.

Spider786 said:
i wouldn't probably be the best person to comment, but they all seem like pretty decent introductions.
Thanks, I hope I get a question like that in the actual exam then :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)