Questions from interested 08ers. (1 Viewer)

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i kinda wanted to live at burgmann. but i don't want to go to anu anymore. sydney > canberra forevz.

blacksunset

HSC
yosemite sam said:
I went down to Canberra for the open day too and one thing i did notice at the Canberra Centre was that there were HEAPS of places that needed staff. So if you've got some retail experience then it wouldnt be hard to get a job near uni.

My question: what do i write on my application form? Why should they let me into B&G?
i wrote sporting achievements, as they are really big on sport (generlaly always end up in the grand final against johns for eveyrthing) and any leadership positions u have held. any high academic achievements too, and anything else thats of value. im a performer and have been performing since i was young and done alot of notable theatre work, so i put that in, and i ended up choreographing and being in this years production!!

anything that u think u would read and be impressed with
and yes therea re a shitload of jobs in the canberra centre lol

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yosemite sam said:
My question: what do i write on my application form? ?
Sports, arts, hobbies, interests.... shouldn't be too hard

sparklelovah

HSC
How hard is it to get into a college? I applied for B&G (and put all my debating, theatre, and sports stuff on the application) but at Open Day the girl said that it was extremely difficult to get in due to the number of applications, and that this year some first years had to stay at an ANU-subsidised hotel... so how do they choose if everyone's into extracurricular?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
You are guranteed a place at college as a first year undergraduate, it may not necessarily be your first choice. B&G will be harder than usual because I believe they are doing renovations and thus losing a significant number of rooms for the next few years. There's not really anything you can do to change the way colleges choose people, so I personally wouldn't worry.

falcon07

HSC
Renovations at B&G have been postponed again, because the shipping container accommodation won't be ready by next year.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
You are guranteed a place at college as a first year undergraduate, it may not necessarily be your first choice. B&G will be harder than usual because I believe they are doing renovations and thus losing a significant number of rooms for the next few years. There's not really anything you can do to change the way colleges choose people, so I personally wouldn't worry.
The colleges fill up pretty fast, and there are very limited places available. You will get accommodation due to the first year guarantee, and if you don't get a college spot, you'll most probably be put in unilodge, or the new unilodge2

They will try to get you into your first preference, but as an indication, this year Bruce Hall had 7 first preferences for every room available.

Mond

HSC
Hi all :)

I'm a year twelve student from Sydney, looking to attend ANU next year and live on campus. I've done some research on it, and I think I've got the basics covered, but I guess I'd like some more subjective information from those who have actually moved out of their own comfort zones, whether to ANU, or anywhere else in general. Does the nostalgia disappear after a while? Did you feel it at all?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Hey Mond,
I moved out of Sydney in 06, and have since been living here for almost 2 years. The move was pretty simple to be honest. Once all my junk was packed and brought down here, the halls/colleges look after you and you soon get into the 'college lifestyle' without too much fuss. Remember, unlike sydney colleges - ANU colleges are predominatly australian students, so you won't feel out of place. Plus everyone is in the exact same position as you and keen to meet new people and make new friends. The colleges are good because it's a step out of home, but there isn't much risk (because all the gas, electricity, water and sometimes food is all bundled into one). Do i get homesick? no, not at all. Although i do like my queen bed when i'm in sydney. lol. At the end of the day, you are only a 3 hr drive from sydney, so you can take the bus home ($25 one way). :)
hope this helps :)

Mond

HSC
Thanks for that helpful reply, Davo1111. I actually went for a drive to ANU today. I missed out on Open Day, so this was my first time seeing it, and I think the uni is great. One of the student helpers (not exactly sure if this is what you call them - they were a fourth year student) showed us around the hall I want to stay at, which was really nice and I see what you mean about the "college lifestyle" feel. It's reassuring to hear that others have undergone the same experience, so thank you.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
no problems, if you've got any questions about this kind of thing - give me a buzz.
Btw which college did you visit?

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Hey anyone aware of the dates for O-week 09 it'll be after the 10th of february... won't it.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
2009 Semesters

* First Semester - 23 February - 5 June
* Second Semester - 20 July - 30 October
O-week starts 1 week before that.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Hagaren said:
Hey anyone aware of the dates for O-week 09 it'll be after the 10th of february... won't it.
Yes, and joy of joys, it means I have to go home after summer school because they won't let me in. I should really fill out my returning resident form sometime...

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
jeeze, i'll have to dig up mine too.

Sammy - are you sure there's a difference between the summer school and o-week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)