Questions on the journey essay. (1 Viewer)

MarsBarz

HSC
English advance and standard get to focus on just one type of journey (physical/inner/imaginative). Is that the case for use ESL students or do we have to discuss all of these?

Also how much should you write about techniques? Would 2 techniques per text be enough?

Is it important to integrate essays in ESL?

Just some last minute panic as I try to prepare my journey essay....

El Pueblo Unido

HSC
Good question, I'm wondering the same question as well, but as far as I'm concerned, the journeys are not divided into those three categories. I'm not too sure bout that though....

As for essays, two techniques would be sufficient. A bare minimum of one technique should be discuss with reference to the journey. :)

Good luck for your preparation, I'm quite paranoid as well.

MarsBarz

HSC
Hey thanks for the replies. It's a shame that these forums aren't more active.
I'm pretty sure that we do have to talk about all types of journeys. I don't think we have to focus on one. That said I am not sure if we need to address all of them :/.

For the techniques so far I have about 2 to 3 techniques per text. Sometimes I wonder if I am retelling the story too much. Is it alright to have 2 to 3 sentences which give a brief synopsis of the story and relates it to journey?

How integrated should esl journey essays be?

El Pueblo Unido

HSC
Well, about the types of journeys, usually the questions ask about how physical journeys could lead to inner journeys. In addition to that, they might ask you to discuss the types of journey presented in a text, in which I strongly suggest that you focused more on the inner journey.

As for the structure of an essay, frankly, I'm quite confuse as well. I've seen few samples (exemplar answers and band 5-6 samples). From my observation, I see that they answer the question first and then write down why it answer the question. They don't really summed up the plot of the story. They apply a particular event or chapter without discussing any form of plot. Probably better if you wrote down one or two sentences explaining how this is related to the question

Two techniques should be enough, I don't really recommedn three unless you can write quickly. I also have a question, would it be possible to say, use one technique and one direct quotation from the text? I've seen essays in 2002 HSC's note from the marking center that the students are permitted to do that.

Integration of essays should depend on the question, it should have links between one text to the other. You may link them with opening words such as similarly, as well as in... and so on.

For example:

Similarly, in the text (...), the journey leads to (...)

The texts should have links thematically. And as conclusion, you need to sum up the four text on how they answered the proposed question / thesis statement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)