Questions regarding Industrial Design (1 Viewer)

Manuel_II

HSC
I'm really interested in doing a course in Industrial Design in UTS. However, there's a few things that concern me about taking this course:

1. Can I still apply for this course if I don't get the UAI/ATAR required? (Without going to TAFE :mad1:)

2. Is there any maths/engineering involved in this course?

3. How many design projects do you do in the course? Do you need any pprevious experience in using tools & equipment and making products?

4. How flexible is the workload?

5. (My biggest concern) Are the employment prospects of Industrial Design graduates any good? Also, what is the average graduate salary for those doing Industrial Design compared to other courses?

sforsilence

HSC
Hey I'm also considering doing this course, and I have the same concerns about the whole maths and science part of it and the career part... I mean I'm not completely terrible at maths but I don't exactly enjoy it that much either so I'm kind of worried about that... Although I've still got it as my top preference...

I'm really hoping someone can reply to this post really soon!

ThisYearsGirl

HSC
Hey I'm also considering doing this course, and I have the same concerns about the whole maths and science part of it and the career part... I mean I'm not completely terrible at maths but I don't exactly enjoy it that much either so I'm kind of worried about that... Although I've still got it as my top preference...

I'm really hoping someone can reply to this post really soon!

Did you make it into teh course in the main round offers ?
If so what uni are you going ? I'm also considering this course as for early feb rounds. Good luck to you guys ^__^"

geegables

HSC
1. If you don't get the ATAR and don't want to do TAFE there are 2 options - 1) You apply as a Mature Age Student after a year, in which i would highly recommend building your portfolio and doing as much 'design' related things as possible just so you have an advantage. 2) Apply for Insearch where you complete a Diploma in Design. (Im fairly sure its only 1 year) Insearch is essentially a bridging course into UTS but you pay a lot more. You also need to maintain a high Average and go to uni 5 days a week.. BUT if you're serious about the course you will be willing to do this.

2. There is some Maths/Engineering involved in the course BUT your emphasis is more on the Design aspect.. Industrial designers work closely with the Engineering students and even have a project with them where they design a toy car. If you can imagine the Engineering students work out how the car functions,gears etc: whereas Industrial Designers would design the exterior and form of the car. That's essentially the difference.

3. Most of your assessments will be design projects but also there's a fair amount of theory. The course is structured to assume that student's have no previous knowledge in the programs..so you will learn everything you need to know in the course - don't worry about that.

4 & 5 - I don't actually do Industrial Design but i've talked about it enough with friends who are in the course. I always hear about UTS students winning prizes in Industrial Design and getting internships in companies. However, I did talk to someone in the course who said the job prospects are not as high as the other Design degrees

Hope that could help you guys out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)