Questions- School Marks- Motivational help (1 Viewer)

gerable

HSC
Hey guys,

So I just got back most of my assessments from last year. I had some pretty mixed results. I was just wondering is it possible to still get a band 6 with a first assessment mark of 75%. Well, I know it is, so it's a pretty stupid question. Seeing as the weighting was 15%, which becomes 7.5%, it's just that i really need to hear it from someone else who was in a similar situation. Someone who knuckled down. I'm really struggling, mostly fearing that what if I do all the study, work really hard and it doesn't pay off. I know it might be pretty stupid to have that mindset, seeing as doing something is better than nothing, however it is extremely hard to shake off that mindset. As well as the fact when I find myself studying, I start to wonder... What if?. So I guess the reason for this thread is to listen to the different perspectives and advice I can receive. I'm aiming for and atar of 90+ for an entry into a commerce course.

Also, are you guys revising maybe perhaps once a week, your first topics for each subject so it's still fresh in your mind. I might start doing maybe a couple of multiple choice questions and maybe short answers from each topic last year once a week, just to revisit this. Do you guys have any other strategies I can use. Another question?( Sorry) I have my Mid Course exams in week 8/9, so in 7-8 weeks. What would you guys do?, I've heard of Writing notes for 1-2 weeks, Then learning them and applying them for 2 weeks, or something along the lines of that.

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any advice coming my way, hopefully positive.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
15% is quite a small weighing, when you think of it that way 85% of your internal mark has not been calculated yet. You can very easily turn things around with hard work and devotion and achieve a high band 6 (or even a state rank) from where you are now. I recommend you constantly complete your homework and do routine content revisions and past papers, in hand with consistently handing in your work to your teachers in order to get feedback on how to improve.

With my style of writing notes i personally tried to understand the content, then write my notes, followed my remembering the notes, doing activities based on the content i remembered and then going back to my notes a day later to ensure that i memorized the content correctly. I found that through doing this i got a pretty good grip on what i was studying

I was personally in the same position as you with the Information Processes and Technology course this time last year. I had a low mark and mediocre ranking due to not fully applying myself to my coursework. Needless to say, through actually applying myself my ranks looked like this

Assessment 1
Mark: 78%

Assessment 2
Mark: 86%

Assessment 3
Mark: 100%

Assessment 4
Mark: 96%

Assessment 5
Mark: 99%
Rank 3/22

HSC Exams
Exam Mark: 92%
Internal Mark: 90%
Final Mark: 91%
Band 6

If you truly apply yourself and study hard i'm sure that a 90+ is possible

crescendo

HSC
15% is quite a small weighing, when you think of it that way 85% of your internal mark has not been calculated yet. You can very easily turn things around with hard work and devotion and achieve a high band 6 (or even a state rank) from where you are now. I recommend you constantly complete your homework and do routine content revisions and past papers, in hand with consistently handing in your work to your teachers in order to get feedback on how to improve.

With my style of writing notes i personally tried to understand the content, then write my notes, followed my remembering the notes, doing activities based on the content i remembered and then going back to my notes a day later to ensure that i memorized the content correctly. I found that through doing this i got a pretty good grip on what i was studying

I was personally in the same position as you with the Information Processes and Technology course this time last year. I had a low mark and mediocre ranking due to not fully applying myself to my coursework. Needless to say, through actually applying myself my ranks looked like this

Assessment 1
Mark: 78%

Assessment 2
Mark: 86%

Assessment 3
Mark: 100%

Assessment 4
Mark: 96%

Assessment 5
Mark: 99%
Rank 3/22

HSC Exams
Exam Mark: 92%
Internal Mark: 90%
Final Mark: 91%
Band 6

If you truly apply yourself and study hard i'm sure that a 90+ is possible

this is great, thank you!
your hard work payed off =)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
After the first round of assessments, the best thing to do is to be strategic. Hop on an ATAR calculator and calculate what marks you need to get in order to achieve desired ATAR. Then approximate what ranks you'll need internally/at school to achieve that desired HSC mark.

Don't let negative emotion (e.g. fear and constant anxiety) stop you from achieving your best. Work hard, and keep thinking to yourself, "yes I got this" and try and build up some confidence. A little confidence goes a long way, but never get too cocky. Mindset plays such a critical role during HSC. Remember, if you second guess yourself too much, that's just time wasted thinking about the "what ifs" and wallowing in self doubt. You could've been studying and working towards your goals, instead of second guessing them.

Make sure you break your long-term goals into manageable tasks, e.g. if you're aiming for a 90 in maths, write a plan of how you're going to achieve that. It could be doing past papers, weekly revision, study notes, etc.

I only really did revision during the HSC after we finished a topic at school. Most of my revision was done a day or two before exams (bad idea hahahha but I have good short-term memory so that style of cramming worked for me).

I suggest writing summaries and familiarising yourself with the syllabus so your level of the content deepens. After that, do lots of practice exams and familiarise yourself with the marking criteria to really nail the final external exams.

I'd do practice exams 1-2 weeks before the actual assessment tasks and start completing my notes ASAP, if possible. Don't forget to try and stay on top of homework. Learning to prioritise your work is really crucial at this time!

Best of luck :)

gerable

HSC
Thanks man, good job by the way. I Feel a lot more confident now :)

HSC
(I lazily skimmed through the original post)

It is still early days and anything is possible till the end. Pace yourself and work harder, there is a light at the end!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)