Questions... (1 Viewer)

RoXaH

HSC
1)Find

Also, if you get a question that asks you to show that ABCD is a parallelogram, do you just need to show that opposite sides are parallel? Or also do you need to show that they are not at right angles or that they are not all equidistant?

Brontecat

HSC
t

you'd just have to double check my answer but i think thats right :)
If it is wrong it'd be a calculation error, im pretty sure the working is right

sorri its all squished up i've never used LaTex before

As for your second question i don't think it matters too much what proof you use as long as you show that you've applied geometrical reasoning

Last edited:
K

khorne

Also, if you get a question that asks you to show that ABCD is a parallelogram, do you just need to show that opposite sides are parallel? Or also do you need to show that they are not at right angles or that they are not all equidistant?
You have to prove that the geometric shape has the essential features of a parallelogram, as anything higher up than a parallelogram, is still essentially a parallelogram. Eg:

A quad. is a parallelogram if:

opposite sides are equal or
opposite angles are equal or
one pair of opposite sides are equal and parallel
diagonals bisect each other or
Opposite sides are parallel

It's really a hierarchy:

So a parallelogram is a trapezium with two sets of parallel sides, but a trapezium is not a parallelogram...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You have to prove that the geometric shape has the essential features of a parallelogram, as anything higher up than a parallelogram, is still essentially a parallelogram. Eg:

A quad. is a parallelogram if:

opposite sides are equal or
opposite angles are equal or
one pair of opposite sides are equal and parallel
diagonals bisect each other or
Opposite sides are parallel

It's really a hierarchy:

So a parallelogram is a trapezium with two sets of parallel sides, but a trapezium is not a parallelogram...
Well said and that last question will always be puzzling (although understood) in words, it clearly makes no sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)