Quick graphs question (1 Viewer)

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
For example if you're given a graph with a vertical asymptote and asked to sketch y = 1/f(x), is this graph defined for the asymptote? I was marked down in my trial for putting an open circle on this kind of question and my teacher told me 1/(undefined) was equal to zero. But the past HSC answers have it as being undefined. What is correct?

(I hope that made sense)
Thanks for any help

100percent

HSC
fine ambiguity said:
For example if you're given a graph with a vertical asymptote and asked to sketch y = 1/f(x), is this graph defined for the asymptote? I was marked down in my trial for putting an open circle on this kind of question and my teacher told me 1/(undefined) was equal to zero. But the past HSC answers have it as being undefined. What is correct?

(I hope that made sense)
Thanks for any help
i think it's undefined (open circle), since there is no x value on the asymptote, so how can you have 1/(nothing)??

I

icycloud

Consider tan(x),
1/tan(x) = cot(x)

tan(pi/2) is undefined,
however cot(pi/2) = 0.

Do you put an open circle at x = pi/2 on the graph of y = cot(x)? I think not...

Just some food for thought :).

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I remember debating this some time ago and the conclusion we ended up with was that you can safely treat undefined x values of f(x) as zeros of 1/f(x). Examples exist where this is not the case but I don't think we have to worry about it for the level we're working at and given the kind of functions we ussually deal with.

100percent

HSC
hmm, i find it weird, coz they don't give you a defined x,
like if you square 5 or -5 both answers are 25
but if you square root 25, it's only 5.

but i'll stick with what kfunk said and put it as zero.
i guess you can assume that those points are at ±infinity and 1/infinity = zero?

robbo_145

HSC
looking at the suggested answers to Q3)a)i) from 2003 HSC 1/undefined remains undefined. However this could be because they do not explicitly give you the equation of the graph.

HSC
when you have a square root of something, it is ALWAYS positive. Hence when you say x^2=5 u put x=+ or - root 5, implying that the root 5 itself is positive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)