quick math study question (1 Viewer)

sy37

HSC
I do general maths

Should I even bother with past papers? The questions are not hard, rather it is just about knowing how to read the diagram properly, knowing the right formula and just reading the question properly with common sense.

I therefore think it is more sensible to use the textbook predominantly than rely on past papers. I think the textbook covers pretty much anything and they don't usually ask super hard questions in general. If I had the textbook with me I could probably ace the questions, in theory. Unlike 2U (I did it in year 11) I notice the last questions get quite hard, but general is just..completely different in this regard.

Thoughts?

Drsoccerball

HSC
In maths the textbook is like a mint chocolate. Shit.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I do general maths

Should I even bother with past papers? The questions are not hard, rather it is just about knowing how to read the diagram properly, knowing the right formula and just reading the question properly with common sense.

I therefore think it is more sensible to use the textbook predominantly than rely on past papers. I think the textbook covers pretty much anything and they don't usually ask super hard questions in general. If I had the textbook with me I could probably ace the questions, in theory. Unlike 2U (I did it in year 11) I notice the last questions get quite hard, but general is just..completely different in this regard.

Thoughts?
If you are using NCM/Mathsquest then it probably would be fine. I also recommend you check out the syllabus, as the textbooks leave out a couple of possibly examinable content.

Flop21

HSC
I do general maths

Thoughts?
Shouldn't that be your reasoning for doing past papers??

If they're so easy they shouldn't be a problem for you, and practice really does help. I'm aiming to do 10 past papers by HSC time, but I do 2u.

I say keep doing past papers, but also keep your textbook close. Go through every topic in your textbook making sure you've got the content down and in your head, then practice practice.

Here's some advice from Drsoccerball from another math advice thread:

Also the reason i didnt get 98-100 was because i got really cocky at the end and stopped studying... never stop, be humble and confident at the same time.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I recommend grinding past papers. It's honestly the best way to study a subject like General maths due to trial/error. Textbooks only get you so far

and they don't usually ask super hard questions in general.
Don't assume this for any of your subjects. If you do you're setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I got 88 and my brother got 93 and papers were our main study method. I'm also friends with a state ranker and said person did papers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)