Quick maths question (1 Viewer)

ataratar

HSC
Hi, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this one question! I keep getting the same wrong answer.
Find values of x for which the following inequation is simultaneously satisfied:
x+4/x-6 < 0 and x-6/x-4 > 1

I get -4 < x < 4 and the answer says -4 < x < 6 :confused:

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
please put in brackets to make it more clearer. are you saying (x+4)/(x-6) < 0 or x+(4/x)-6<0

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Lol, she means (x+4)/(x-6) <0

ataratar

HSC
yes sorry for my typo i meant the forward slash as in the original question, can you please help?!

ataratar

HSC
omg this is actually redic, its DIVIDE with the brackets like this (x+4)/(x-6) < 0 and (x-4)/(x-6) > 1
please can someone just answer the question pretty please!!

Ikki

HSC
(x+4)/(x-6) < 0 and (x-6)/(x-4) > 1
Ok, basically for the first one, denom disappears, you get x=-4. Second one the x cancels so no solution. Then look at the bottom, x cannot =4 or 6.
Test values, and you'll get -4 < x < 6, x cannot = 4

Last edited:

ataratar

HSC
Divide man ..... Since when have we not learnt that in maths?
exactly, so when i reiterated that it was a 'forward slash' it should have been clear to 'braintic' that is was divide. Yet it wasnt as he still replied "still unclear multiply or divide?"
Hence you should be asking HIM that very question: "since when have we not learnt that in maths?"
friends told me this place was useful for sorting out maths queries from fellow hsc/prelim people, but it seems to me like you and makematics and what ever, have been very rude and unhelpful. Thanks so much xx

Last edited:

ataratar

HSC
(x+4)/(x-6) < 0 and (x-6)/(x-4) > 1
Ok, basically for the first one, denom disappears, you get x=-4. Second one the x cancels so no solution. Then look at the bottom, x cannot =4 or 6.
Test values, and you'll get -4 < x < 6, x cannot = 4
But it cant equal 5 either because (5-6)/(5-4) is not > 1, so isnt my answer correct?

Ikki

HSC
Hmm true, then you end up with -4 < x < 4, yep you're right I think

ataratar

HSC
You obviously don't understand that just because something is clear in your head that doesn't mean it is clear to someone else.

Even your statement above is imprecise. How could you (re)iterate (ie. repeat) something which you have not in fact previously stated?

How was I being rude? The only rudeness came from you. And indeed how was I supposed to have been helpful when your question was not clear?

But let's give you reason for calling me rude: Its good to see you are dropping Extension English - your communication skills are not up to scratch.
Haha I merely laugh at how pathetic that statement was. I was definitely not being rude before, comments like "Like someone who always mumbles and gets upset when you don't hear them. Just walk away ..." are most definitely rude. And I actually was reiterating forward slash, because there were forward slashes in the original question. All this tension stemmed from an innocent typo. And as far as your doubt goes in regard to my ability to do extension english, please be quiet because you have no idea who I am or what my strengths are. English is actually my best subject and I am ranked first in the course, but due to personal problems, I haven't had the time to do the extensive amount of research and reading that is required in the extension course. So please, do everyone a favour and stop putting people down on this forum whatever your reasons are (typos, being unclear, etc.) Just learn to be polite and not make assumptions about people when you know nothing about them, and maybe you will become a better person.

Ikki

HSC
Guys just make peace, we all got other things to do. Just forget it :)

Makematics

HSC
exactly, so when i reiterated that it was a 'forward slash' it should have been clear to 'braintic' that is was divide. Yet it wasnt as he still replied "still unclear multiply or divide?"
Hence you should be asking HIM that very question: "since when have we not learnt that in maths?"
friends told me this place was useful for sorting out maths queries from fellow hsc/prelim people, but it seems to me like you and makematics and what ever, have been very rude and unhelpful. Thanks so much xx
ffs lol i wanted to help but was clarifying what the question was asking. if anything, you were being rude. you expect to waltz into the forum and get your questions answered, yet you cant even be bothered to write the question down properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)