• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quick question about essays... (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
how do you know those things? i swear senior english is bs and they should replace it with some grammer courses so we can gen our english right like yo uguys above
I've spent some (not a lot) of time reading things. Strangely, I find grammar interesting! I just don't have enough time to learn more about it. It should be mandatory, what we do in the senior English courses is sociological bullshit which means absolutely NOTHING. Let's superficially compare a number of texts and find links between them because that will definitely help us later in life! BAH!

cayte

Exactly. I was in that first year that had to go into it blind and being from a regional area our teachers didn't really have a whole lot of accessible support. From day one I was like, "Well, that's great, but explain to me again why this should be called English and not Society & Literature..."
There are some courses in the English and Linguistics Departments (at usyd at least) that can give you a bit of a grounding in more complex grammar, no prior knowledge requried. You can usually take them as electives, regardless of what degree you do. It is useful, and a certain type of person actually enjoys it...

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by cayte
It's not that it's incorrect, it's just a contraction, but it is informal. If you were to write an academic piece including contractions it would not be regarded too highly.
Marks were taken off for using these contractions in my FIRST essay! :(

cayte

lol, what your first essay at high school, or your first essay at uni? If you were in year ten it's understandable but a little harsh; if it was at uni you should damn well know better!

santaslayer

HSC
I got marks taken off for a Legal studies essay in the HSC year (just because the teacher was a friggin english teacher! :p), and than I forgot about the rule in Uni and got MORE marks taken off! :p.......I'm so stoopid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)