• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

quick question... answer asap (1 Viewer)

Zahraa H

May God raise your ranks!
HSC
hey everyone just a quick question i need an answer to

im doing extremely bad @ maths 2U....like failing big time. my other subjects are english adv, physis, chem, legal and pd.

is it possible maths will NOT be counted in my UAI? im asking this coz once my maths teacher said that there was this girl who was really bad at maths nd gave up on it. she was constantly doing visual arts n doing really well....but in the end maths got counted in her uai and visual arts didnt. im really scared coz my UAI will drop BIG TIME if maths is counted... n i have already done half of my assessments for maths n they were really bad...so can anyone help??? olz answer asap
thanx alot

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
hey,
if u do well at ur other subjects then maths is unlikely to be counted for ur UAI as you do 12 units. Marks in your other subjects should be higher than ur maths mark naturally as i', assuming ur better at those subjects.
If somehow u manage to improve ur maths marks and get them above ur other subjects, than it will obviously count in ur UAI: thats not a bad scenario either cause it will mean ur mark has improved and its not that bad anymore.

Keep trying ur hardest at maths though, dont give up on it.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
your little story is why you shouldnt drop.

i would only drop if you were doing fantastically well in your other subject. like ranked inside top 3 in your school in your other subjects and you are heaps confident with them all and you are coming last in 2u maths and are sure that you will get only 50/100 for 2u and 80+ for other subjects. something like that.

cause if your not absolutely sure, then you may have a bad day and do badly in the legal or pd test, and do well in the math test and it ends up counting.

so you have to be really, really sure if you want to drop it, cause all too often people give up on it and it ends up couting towards thier uai

nerd_2b

HSC
they take ur best 10 units, including english for your UAI

Zahraa H

HSC
hi,
no i am not actually planning to drop maths its just that i am curious if they will include maths due to the scaling process. as for the first post, if my marks for pd and legal are around 70% but maths is around 50% is there a chance that maths will be included? how good do i have to go in those subjects for maths to not actually be counted?? i am still going to try hard for maths but my marks are really low and i dont want maths to affect my uai so wat can i do?
thnx

LordPc

HSC
hi,
no i am not actually planning to drop maths its just that i am curious if they will include maths due to the scaling process. as for the first post, if my marks for pd and legal are around 70% but maths is around 50% is there a chance that maths will be included? how good do i have to go in those subjects for maths to not actually be counted?? i am still going to try hard for maths but my marks are really low and i dont want maths to affect my uai so wat can i do?
thnx
thats a poor attitude. if you dont want maths to affect ur uai drop it altogether. otherwise try your best so that it does affect your uai and push it up.

2u subjects dont really differ that much scaling-wise, so I would say a 70 in legal or pd would be better than a 50 in 2u math.

but again, if you keep it, try your best. dont think about it not affecting your uai cause even if you end up getting 10 for 2u maths, it cant bring your uai down because they only take your best 10 units.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
thats a poor attitude. if you dont want maths to affect ur uai drop it altogether. otherwise try your best so that it does affect your uai and push it up.

2u subjects dont really differ that much scaling-wise, so I would say a 70 in legal or pd would be better than a 50 in 2u math.

but again, if you keep it, try your best. dont think about it not affecting your uai cause even if you end up getting 10 for 2u maths, it cant bring your uai down because they only take your best 10 units.
I agree with the sentence in bold.

kazzaduh

HSC
I'm in the exact same sitation as you.
However I've decided to drop math, and make my ext 2 english as my 10th unit.
I figure, why do a subject I don't like/good at when I can concentrate on my other subjects which I'm doing a whole lot better in.

Forcing yourself to do a subject you're not getting the best marks in, and overall not enjoying is a waste of time.
Use the time to do other subjects that WILL count to your hsc :)

Zahraa H

HSC
hey,
i dont want to drop maths i know ill regret it n i am trying to get better marks just havent gotten around to it :confused: n i calculated the marks i could get if i got 100% for the rest of my maths assessment n the most i can get in 2u is 86% (my raw marks) and that is nearly impossible (dont say thats a poor attitude ask anyone who does 2u). i enjoy maths...when i get it LOL. its just im not trying my best n even if i do it can still affect my marks.

n another quick question... do they take ur 10 best units AFTER scaling them or before?

thnx, much appreciated. :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
hey,
i dont want to drop maths i know ill regret it n i am trying to get better marks just havent gotten around to it :confused: n i calculated the marks i could get if i got 100% for the rest of my maths assessment n the most i can get in 2u is 86% (my raw marks) and that is nearly impossible (dont say thats a poor attitude ask anyone who does 2u). i enjoy maths...when i get it LOL. its just im not trying my best n even if i do it can still affect my marks.

n another quick question... do they take ur 10 best units AFTER scaling them or before?

thnx, much appreciated. :)
Wake up call. It's the HSC. Not trying you're best isn't an excuse. So if it affects your marks negatively, then drop to general maths. In the beginning of your sentence, you state that you're trying to get better marks. But you're contradicting yourself in end by saying "I'm not trying my best and even if I do, it can still affect my marks".

So drop. For the second question, AFTER.

waryap

HSC
if you believe you're doing badly then I say drop it.
However, try harder and see how that goes because maths is a pretty good subject in terms of trying to get a good UAI. If your manage to get like 80's in 2u maths and 90's in your other subjects i doubt it'd pull you down that badly but try your hardest for your next test!
good luck!~ :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)