Quick question re: units of credit (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
With a Bachelor of Commerce, does the 42 units of credit you need to do for each major in a double major include the core courses already completed such as ACCT1501 and ACCT1511? Or do you need to complete 42 units on top of the core courses?

And if they do count, how, for instance can you reach the 144 units of credit required for the whole degree if you double major in accounting and finance?

I'm confused.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Acid said:
With a Bachelor of Commerce, does the 42 units of credit you need to do for each major in a double major include the core courses already completed such as ACCT1501 and ACCT1511? Or do you need to complete 42 units on top of the core courses?

And if they do count, how, for instance can you reach the 144 units of credit required for the whole degree if you double major in accounting and finance?

I'm confused.
Our core courses don't count towards our UOC for majors. In other words, you can't count something like Acct1A twice just because it was a core course and since its also technically required for an accounting major.

Instead, you just do option courses to make up for the required 42 courses. Basically, you would do Acct2A, Acct2b, Acct3A? and 4 of the option courses available for the major.

I had a similar issue a few weeks back as I do alot of economics courses that overlap in my eco majors. Everyone has to do the 144 UOC to graduate, there is no working past it by counting your courses twice over.

Acid

HSC
I actually called up the UNSW business school undergrad student centre and they said that the core accounting subjects do count towards the accounting major. You still have to do 144 UOC but because two of the accounting courses are core you can make up the rest of the units by doing other courses in the business school.

Quote: "You will get two extra free options/electives (whichever name you prefer) and you can complete more Accounting courses if you wish or any courses within the Australian School of Business offering. "

*phew*.. I was worried for a second that i'd have to complete extra accounting courses. I've got 1 accounting subject to do to get the major and there's no way I could be bothered doing an extra two more!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Acid said:
I actually called up the UNSW business school undergrad student centre and they said that the core accounting subjects do count towards the accounting major. You still have to do 144 UOC but because two of the accounting courses are core you can make up the rest of the units by doing other courses in the business school.

Quote: "You will get two extra free options/electives (whichever name you prefer) and you can complete more Accounting courses if you wish or any courses within the Australian School of Business offering. "

*phew*.. I was worried for a second that i'd have to complete extra accounting courses. I've got 1 accounting subject to do to get the major and there's no way I could be bothered doing an extra two more!
Thanks for that. I called them too but I was basically under the impression that I had to do the other options in my majors. Still, it makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)