Quick question (1 Viewer)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
to clarify: Sodium (Na+) is soluble in just about anything rioght? Only way to show its prescence is through flame test - yellow colour indicates this. There must be an anion to form a precipitate with this... i dunno.

Cheers

IcEy

HSC
Yeah, I think you're right there. All sodium salts are solutble in water. You don't usually test for sodium in water, because there's nothing wrong with them - they don't do anything bad. Usually, you'd test for Ba, Ca, Mg, Fe II, Fe III, and something else...

Hope it helps.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
And what about NO3- anions? can they be tested using precipitate reactions?

All group one cations are soluble basically, from what i have read, some exceptions maybe but look at solubility charts.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
LaCe said:
And what about NO3- anions? can they be tested using precipitate reactions?

All group one cations are soluble basically, from what i have read, some exceptions maybe but look at solubility charts.
I love NO3. It's soluble in everything.

HSC
afaik you need a variety of tests to detect NO3 ? correct me if im wrong, 2 of my weakest subsections in Chemistry is Electrochemistry and cation/anion testing

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I love NO3. It's soluble in everything.
I hate nitric acid ... it reacts with keratin to dye skin yellow ... and now everyone thinks i am a 24/7 smoker. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

'No you've got me all wrong ... it was the nitrating acid!! ... what, you think I'd lie, sMelL mY bReaTHe DamN IT!!!'

jamesy_1988

HSC
You can test for nitrates in a test called the brown ring test.

I can't remember exactly how it is done but I know that you use an iron salt and a concentrated acid, probably H2SO4

When I finid out exactly how it is done I'll write back here

Jamesy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)