Quick questions about uni (1 Viewer)

jack1711

HSC
Hey, is there many powerpoints in a lecture hall?

Also if you have a lecture back to back, will I be able to reach my lecture on time. i.e I have a lecture that finishes at 2pm and another one starting at 2. will they make time for us to move buildings?

Also anywhere I can get uni study notes (sort of what we were able to use in highschool from here)?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Most lecturers use powerpoints. Some will use a word doc, which is very annoying, but, if what you're really asking is, "Do they use a projector with some notes on it?", the answer 99% of the time is yes.

Most lecturers will give a grace period of 10 minutes. Some don't mind people walking in whenever, but many will throw the "you're disrupting the class by quietly walking to your seat and not bothering anybody along the way" line (themselves forgetting that by stopping to say that, the entire class has been disrupted until you sit down and are ready to take notes). Rarely do classes end early, but you can, technically speaking, leave 5-10mins early with the excuse that "my class is down at the Market campus", which takes about 10 minutes to walk to from the tower (though less from the market campus... so don't use it from there). Some tutors don't like that at all, but most lecturers don't mind... so two lectures back to back leaves a good amount of wiggle-room if you're willing to miss the last 5 or so minutes. Again, though, the lecturers won't start right on the dot. A 10 minute grace period is customary (and I had a lecturer who said 20 minutes, so even better).

Not sure about study --notes--, since most of them are notes from students who took the class in previous semesters. Course notes are sold at the Union StuffShop (or Stationary Shop or whatever they call it) in the foodcourt of the Tower building. $10/pop usually, but they're usually just the shit you can get online for free (read: the lecture slides and sometimes tutorial work).

TunaFish

HSC
Most lecturers use powerpoints. Some will use a word doc, which is very annoying, but, if what you're really asking is, "Do they use a projector with some notes on it?", the answer 99% of the time is yes.
I think OP means power points for their laptop.
At orientation yesterday, we were told that there are a few in every lecture hall but sometimes you have to get to class a little early to make sure you get one before they are all taken. However a good idea is to bring a small adapter with 2 or more faces so you can share a power point with someone (and make a friend in the process).

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I think OP means power points for their laptop.
At orientation yesterday, we were told that there are a few in every lecture hall but sometimes you have to get to class a little early to make sure you get one before they are all taken. However a good idea is to bring a small adapter with 2 or more faces so you can share a power point with someone (and make a friend in the process).
Haha, I guess that does make more sense. There are some power points in the lecture halls, but they're limited... maybe 6 in an entire theatre, and you usually have to find one and be up against the wall. I'd say the chances of getting one are slim to none if you get there late. That said, if your battery doesn't last for the better part of a lecture, it's time to get a new one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)