Quickly correct my adaptations (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Quickly correct my adaptations? :). There are 3 types of adaptations, behavioural, physiological and structural. But I got behavioural for all of them. Anything wrong? Anything I should add? Thanks guys.

Two Plants:

Trees – The trees are suited to the hot climate which produces transpiration or evaporation of water from leaves. This is known as a behavioural adaptation, how an organism relates to its environment.
Small flowers – The small flowers near the creek are suited to a hot climate as well to grow. This is known as a behavioural adaptation, how an organism relates to its environment.

Two Animals:

Small Birds – The small birds are adapted with the trees in which they eat seeds from it and find shelter. This is known as a behavioural adaptation.
Ducks – The ducks are suited to the Toongabbie creek area studied, as they swim in the aquatic water and walk on land. This is known as a behavioural adaptation.

zingerburger

HSC
I think you have to be a bit more specific than just "trees" and "small birds". You need to have a specific species of plant or animal e.g. Eucalypts or Red Kangaroo.

But to correct your adaptations so you have an idea for the adaptations you decide to choose for your specific species:

What allows the transpiration? Stomates - so that's a structural adaptation. Just saying "transpiration is an adaptation" won't be enough.

What keeps a duck warm when it gets wet/stops the water from seeping onto the skin to keep it warm? An waxy-oily layer on the feathers allows the water to run off the feathers easily - that's also a structural adaptation.

EDIT: Note: Even "Eucalypts" might not be specific enough, since it's a genus and not a species. Find a species of Eucalypt to do.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
zingerburger said:
I think you have to be a bit more specific than just "trees" and "small birds". You need to have a specific species of plant or animal e.g. Eucalypts or Red Kangaroo.

But to correct your adaptations so you have an idea for the adaptations you decide to choose for your specific species:

What allows the transpiration? Stomates - so that's a structural adaptation. Just saying "transpiration is an adaptation" won't be enough.

What keeps a duck warm when it gets wet/stops the water from seeping onto the skin to keep it warm? An waxy-oily layer on the feathers allows the water to run off the feathers easily - that's also a structural adaptation.

EDIT: Note: Even "Eucalypts" might not be specific enough, since it's a genus and not a species. Find a species of Eucalypt to do.
Ahh I already handed in my report. Yeah I knew I had to be more specific...But thanks anyway zingerburger..mmmm.

boris

Banned
HSC
For future reference incase anybody else asks this question.

Structural Adaptations: "Structural adaptations are physical features of an organism like the bill on a bird or the fur on a bear"

How would fur be a strucutral adapation?
- Protection
- Insulation
- Camouflage

Behavioural Adaptation: Behavioral adaptations are the things organisms do to survive.
- Migration in birds

Physiological Adaptation
Physiological ones are the easiest ones to do.
- Kangaroos licking their paws to stay cool
- African wild dogs/rabbits/hyena's have large ears to lose body heat when it's hot

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/nwep1.htm

budj

HSC
Structural adaptations are those physical aspects of an organism that help it to survive or give them an advantage in a specific ecological niche. For both plants and animals this is quite simple, just choose any one, and remember the examiners will be more inclined to an answer incorporating a uniquely australian species or a novel concept (thereby demonstrating a thorough knowledge of biology and a specific research focus).

Behavioural adaptations are specific behavioural patterns (for want of a better phrase) that enable the organism to cope or render an advantage in a specific ecological niche. for plants this is hard - what is behaviour in plants? But in animals, anyhing goes, from the migtration of birds to the movement of a tapeworm in the gastrointestinal tract in response to host feeding (Hymenolepis diminuta in the rattus spp. host). Kangaroo licking forearm would also be a behavioural response, NOT a physiological response.

Physiological responses: these are not just anything. Physiology encompasses the way the systems of the body (such as the digestive, respiratory etc) function and regulate each other. Adaptations, therefore, are specific changes within these systems. for plants, to cope with drought stress they increase activity of certain enzymes and deecrease activity of others (not sure which ones as i am not a plant physiologist). In the animal, a good example is the response of the rat to the presence of the exclusively small intestinal dwelling tapeworm Hymenolpis diminuta. This tapeworm essentially sucks up nutrients that are available to the host, however the host seems unaffected. Research shows that in comparing infected and uninfected controls, there is no statistically significant weight difference between these two groups, nor is there a change in food consumption (you would expect that infected animals would eat more to gain more nutrients as the parasite is sucking nutrients up). To tentatively answer this question, the small intestine increases the rate of absorption of certain nutrients. It also increases the length of the small intestine such that there is more surface area for nutrient absorption. These are all physiological responses of the host Rattus spp to the presence of the tapeworm.

good luck!

If you want anymore help give me an email on budhima.nanayakkara@anu.edu.au and il be glad to help!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Ahh I already handed in my report. Yeah I knew I had to be more specific...But thanks anyway zingerburger..mmmm.
Should have asked earlier :(

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
In maintaining a balance in year 12 a similar sort of thing will come up, how Australian Plants have adapted to conserve water and reduce heat; and Australian ectotherms and endotherms protect from the heat, in which youll need to be more specific
Bilby → Endotherm → Regulates temperature by-
Digging Spiral holes- Protecting it from directs heat of the sun
Been Nocturnal- Avoids activity during high heat
Large ears (SA: Volume) - Containing many blood vessels which vasodilate.

Bearded Dragon → Ectotherm → Regulates temperature by-
Releasing MHS (Melanxyte Stimulating hormone) from its pituitary gland.
In little light/heat MHS causes the skin pigment to darken → ↑ Heat Absorption.
In excessive light/heat MHS causes the skin pigment to blanch → ↓ Heat Absorption
hope thats help, and dont be worried over doing the wrong thing, the whole idea of year 11 is to give you the skilled needed to go year 12 such as study and responding to verbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)