Quote me what I could get with $3500 for a computer!!! (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Given your budget I'd probably look at spending about 2.5K max. Spend the rest on the car.

As a rough guide I'd go: $300 case and peripherals. $400 LCD monitor. $300 mobo. $300 AMD CPU, $300 RAM, $300 on two SATA HDDs (say 400Gb total), $100 16x DL DVD burner and $500 graphics card.

When choosing components:

AMD>Intel
Gigabyte have value packed Mobos.
Nvidia>Radeon
Western Digital are best HDDs
SATA>PATA
RAID = Good

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
sorry to take over this thread but i got a few questions

whats the disadvantage of having two SATA HDD , but in different size.

and if i get two SATA HDDs same size, its best to put them in RAID?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SashatheMan said:
whats the disadvantage of having two SATA HDD , but in different size.

and if i get two SATA HDDs same size, its best to put them in RAID?
There is nothing wrong with two SATA HDD in different size unless you want a RAID array, in which case stripping wouldn't work and mirroring would see the storage size reduced to the smaller one.

A RAID 0 system will increase speed, but if one hard disk fails you lose everything. It really depends on whether that extra performance could justify possible loss, but if you back up regularly there is no harm in using RAID.

Collin

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
Nvidia>Radeon
Number 1: nVidia is a company. Radeon is not; it's a range of cards produced by a company.
Secondly, assuming you mean nVidia > ATi Tech, that totally depends.
E.g Geforce 6800GT > Radeon X800PRO? Yes.
E.g Radeon 9800XT > Geforce FX5950? No.
And I'm not even gonna get into the G70 vs. R520 debate.

loquasagacious said:
Western Digital are best HDDs
On what basis? I think that's more of a personal preference. The only clear cut advantage of WD I can personally see is that they tend to offer 3 years manufacturer's warranty.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I was basing it on the long warranty and zero failure rate I've had with them (as comparred to other brands). I'd place WD at the top then Seagate a very close second.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
first of all that comp rocks..except u could go a lot better than just that build...

intel dual core is shit...whereas the amd one is build ground up from scratch...

...then that means u would get an amd-version of that mobo as the mobo is top of the line...hence ur memory would be ddr instead of ddr2...as it doesnt use ddr2

instead of that case i suggest the antec p180 ..go take a look at it (which is about 120 less)

instead of that 17" LG 8ms u should get a samsung 930bf 19" 4ms (which is about 170 more)

instead of the albatron video card, id get an asus (40 bux cheaper which balances out the monitor)

and i wouldnt recommend that water cooling for you...cos wot happens when something goes wrong??would you know how to fix?? for you id get a nice and simple like a really good copper heatsink for about 100 bux and chuck on it 120mm fan (saving bout 200 bux which can go into ur cpu)

and the keyboard and mouse...it rather get a logitech mx3100 set which is about 10 bux more expensive..but much better and also that mouse is optical but the logitech one is laser...

equiski

HSC
What he said.

As for the HD issue, as long as you buy a decent brand (Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital) you should be fine. Reliability for these brands is good, although there is always the chance you can have a HD fail. I've owned 3 WDs, 3 Seagates and a Maxtor in my time and 2 of my Western Digitals have kicked the bucket. That is just bad luck, and didn't stop me buying a 3rd WD for my xbox. Generally, Seagates tend to be quieter, WDs are a tad faster and Maxtors are noisy but cheaper to buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)