• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Quote: "What's a Metaphor?" (1 Viewer)

TangzBasher

Personally do you find that there are people in your ext class that seem too stupid to belong there? When one chick in mine said, "What's a metaphor" I began to wonder how many other stupid ext wannabes exist.

kpq_sniper017

well, as u can see the scaling for ext 1 english has steadily declined since 2001, which indicates that the candidature technically isn't "as bright" as it used to be. maybe teachers are just becoming less strict as to who they let in.

in my yr11 ext 1 class, there are certainly one or two guys who are clueless and came from nowhere to appear in ext 1. but then again, there are always some "surprise packets" who end up doing well....so don't write off that "chick" just yet.
;)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
bahaha this sounds like me when I have one of my stupid moments...

I don't know if I can tell you the technical definition of what a metaphor is but meh a question a girl asked today was 'whats the UN?'

she must have been living under a rock all this time.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i reckon they should advise ppl who have low scores in 2U eng not to do 3U, just like they do for 4U eng. would make things so much better. yes, i guess the canditature doesn;t seem to be "as bright" as pre-2001, however, that tends to happen whenever a subject gets good results - suddenly everyone wants to do it "because it scaled so well last year" whether or not they have any talent.
that said, like pcx said, quite often ppl surprise u. maybe the chick was just havin an off day, spaced out moment whateva - it happens 2 the best of us...and happens 2 the less-than-best of us more often than not! :p

kpq_sniper017

i think teachers/co-ordinators have become a lot more lenient when it comes to selecting students for certain subjects e.g. just about anyone could get into physics at my school despite the "prerequisite" of at least ext 1 maths. as for english...the scaling has steadily declined indicating that the candidature is decreasing in quality, which isn't a good sign, especially for a relatively demanding course such as ext 1 english.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we have the stupidest people in our eng ext class. When girl asked whether Japan was in China, and she was being serious. ( well she said she was, and she sounded serious, but seriously is it possible to be that .. well .. dumb???) people in our eng ext class seem to know nothing .. it is quite annoying as we have to keep stopping to answer the most basic questionz

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
are u serious or joking??
:)
i would assume they were joking if they take ext eng. if they dont well .. um aa metaphor is A figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
holy shit, you had to copy a dictionary defintion of metaphor? do you have any brains at all?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not as bad as an ext2 person walking into a door three times before realising the big letters in front of her spelt out the word pull.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
AsyLum said:
Not as bad as an ext2 person walking into a door three times before realising the big letters in front of her spelt out the word pull.
hehehe, but thats just funny! and come on, like they dont put those signs there just to confuse ppl...i mean, everyones done it at some point!
its kinda suss when ppl dont know what a metaphor is - but then again, maybe she just had a mental blank, it happens to the best of us, so why not cut her some slack?

TangzBasher

pcx_demolition017 said:
are u serious or joking??
Yes I'm serious.

Honestly she is the lowest rank in the class and proberly should be doing esl considering how stupid she is.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
well, i guess it comes down 2 the fact that schools have no power 2 stop ppl doing courses, they can only advise against it. but hey, some1's always gotta have the lowest rank - it doesnt really matter in one sense, its the difference in marks between the ranks.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Hahaha, thats crazy.
I have to put up with that shite in Advanced.. i was on a train home once and heard two girls talking about their Extension class.
Then one said "yehh, gee i dont know why she always sends me out of the room in extension?"
Her friend agreed to not know and re-assured her that she is never kicked out of advanced.
Upon hearing so.. i felt relieved :)
For a girl to be kicked from a HSC Extension english 1 class is despicable.. she shouldnt be there..

but hey.. someone has to be below me :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
Donshe said:
Yeah I don't know what a metaphor is. But I am acing both English Advanced and English Extension. So you can all suck my dick.

I am serious. I also don't know what nouns, verbs and all that other crap is.

Wait...a noun is a naming word right?

Adjective is doing word.

Yeah, thats about all I remember from Year 2.
it doesn't matter if you don't know proper grammatical forms. well, i mean, it should, but u cant be tested on it any more as we arent taught it. metaphor, however, does not fit this category and all students from yr 7 up should know the different types of figurative language and be able to identify it in texts.

dont be so harsh komaticom...lol, was what we were all thinking though! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)