quotes (1 Viewer)

vas

ummm i dont even do ancient history, so only reason im in the forum is because i like people getting stressed over courses that i dont have to worry about....:)

anyway what with all of u worrying about quotes from historians

i do modern history and were encouraged not to bloody quote historians, just to give their point of view....

how come in ancient theywant quotes?

mememe

Because it's ANCIENT history and it's from sooo long ago, the only way we know about it is from sources, so everything you say you basically should back up with a quote. I guess it's not VITAL, i mean the exempler reponse didn't have many.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Originally posted by vas
ummm i dont even do ancient history, so only reason im in the forum is because i like people getting stressed over courses that i dont have to worry about....:)

anyway what with all of u worrying about quotes from historians

i do modern history and were encouraged not to bloody quote historians, just to give their point of view....

how come in ancient theywant quotes?
Hey wait a minute Vas, i do modern history too and we were told that quotes are VITAL in modern as well as ancient. the point of view is of importance yeah but the quote is what distinguishes their complete pov. if u read exemplars, they always have stacks of quotes not only from historians but also from sources of the time period. id double check with ur teacher if i were u...

dothelimbokimbo

Originally posted by mememe
Because it's ANCIENT history and it's from sooo long ago, the only way we know about it is from sources, so everything you say you basically should back up with a quote. I guess it's not VITAL, i mean the exempler reponse didn't have many.
you are better off dropping a name like "such and such maintains" or "such and such argues" cos if u include a quote generally the marker's gonna go "ok, this kid knows how to memorise, but they've just waffled a lot of crap when they could have paraphrased". if u paraphrase u get a whole lot more hisorians in, and u get top top top if u have like soooolid historians... AND if u can compare and contrast their arguments, even better, aes. with modern and ancient sources.

mememe

How many historians is enough? For sparta for instance, i know about 3 modern and maybe 6-7 ancient, but then they don't all talk about everything so depending on the question i can only use a few.

cakeater

sydney, NSW, Australia, the world the solar system
i dunno but here are some quotes off the top of my head just for interests sake:
Horemheb was "one of the most enigmatic power wielders of the new kingdom" (redford) and was tied to "the wholesale dismantling and destruction" (aldred?) of everything reminiscent of atenism and its 'heretical' leader, Akhenaten.
Thomas noted "the gaunt and exaggerated features of amenophis IV (Akhenaten)", whilst Shafer thought he was "the epitome of physical repulsiveness", Speigal noted "the pathological grotesqueness of his physical form". The ultimate description of akhenaten comes from Sir Alan Gardiner in his "egypt of the pharaohs"-sorry its too long and i cant remember it, lol what an anti-climax! haha oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)