Quotes (1 Viewer)

Lobster

Anyone got any really solid quotes for Roman Society from Augustus to Titus?

Its a huge topic to cover cos they can ask us stuff like "name two pieces of equipment a centurian used" to "name two types of Roman housing"

Anyone doing Ancient Greece from 500BC-400BC and have any good quotes from Ancient Sources such as Herotodus and those damn playwrights of old

Jellymonsta

Greece 500 - 440 BC

Its probably a little late now but reading Herodotus and Plutarch (and a little bit of Thucydides) helped me alot. I got the important quotes, and i also got a better grasp on the bias and inaccuracy that they sometimes are guilty of. And they are actually interesting accounts. But if you dont have much time, just read Plutarch's Lives of Themistocles and Cimon. They don't take long to read, and are easily applied in Greece 500 - 440 essays. if you got your hands on some modern historians (Hammand, Bury, Ehrenberg etc) just skim through them, they use quotes from ancient sources quite a bit, and it will show you which quotes/historians can be used where.

Arch-man

It's never too late imo, I'm still digging up info on the Punic Wars.

Reading Book 8 of Herodotus and Pentecontatea in Thucydides should help a lot.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Res Gestae

I celebrated two ovations and three curule triumphs and I was twenty-one times saluted as imperator. The senate dcreed still more triumphs to me, all of which I declined.

The dictatorship was offered to me by both senate and poeple in my absence and when I was at Rome in [22BC], but I refused it.

The senate and people of Rome agreed that I should be appointed supervisor of laws and morals without a colleague and with supreme power, but I would not accept any office inconsistant with the custom of our ancestors. The measures that the senate then desired me to take I carried out in virtue of my tribunician power.

The senate decreed that vows should be undertaken every fifth year by the consuls and priests for my health.

I built the temple of Mars the Avenger and the Forum Augustum on private ground from the proceeds of booty... From the proceeds of booty I dedicated gifts in the Capitol and in the temples of the Divine Julius, of Apollo, of Vesta and of Mars the Avenger; this cost me about 100, 000, 000 sesterces.

I extended the territory of all those provinces of the Roman people on whose borders lay poeples not subject to our government...
part 26 of the Res Gestae is pretty long so I wont put it all here, but is basically describes his conquests and pacification of other provinces like Spain and Gaul. But it fails to mention anything about the Varian disaster, so u can use that in an essay as propaganda.

I compelled the Parthians to restore to me the spoils and the standards of three Roman armies and to ask as suppliants for the frienship of the Roman people.

In my sixth and seventh consulships (28-27BC), after I had extinguished civil wars, and at a time when with universal consent I was in complete control of affairs, I tranferred the republic from my power to the dominion of the senate and people of Rome. For this service of mine I was named Augustus by decree of the senate... After this time I excelled all in influence, although I possessed no more official power then others who were my colleagues in the several magistracies.

hope these are enough quotes for you.

Sanchez#1

I think anyone should just post here whatever quotes they have. These are just my short one-liner quotes, that I scavenged from essays.

Fall of the Republic 78-28 BC

Pompey tended to throw his weight around Plutarch

Pompey subdued with ease most of the rebels (vs Lepidus) Plutarch

The restoration of the power of the tribunes was the one thing above all others the Roman people most frantically desired Plutarch

the very name of Pompey had put an end to the war (Corn pirates) Plutarch

his desire was always to be popular, to be given power, not to seize it Bradley

the greatest imperator that Rome has seen Plutarch

When Pompey was granted proconsular imperium is was a disastrous blow to Sullas intentions

Pompey excels all other generals we have ever seen or heard of in italy Cicero

Lucullus calls Pompey a crazy carrion bird Plutarch

By being tight asses the senate drove them into each others arms (triumvirate) Scullard

Augustus and the Julio-Claudians 28BC-68AD

By a long and gradual series of tentative, patient measures, Octavian established the principate Grant

When Augustus was being modest he had his leadership ratified by the senate and the people Dio Cassius

They had prospered in the revolution, and preferred the safety of the present to the perils of the past Tacitus

But of power I possessed no more than those who were my colleagues Res Gestae

The titles of Maius imperium proconsulare and tribunicia potestas formed the constitutional basis of the principate Scullard

The senate, in fact could hardly discuss anything without the emperors prior permission Salmon

dignified non-entities Salmon

Augustus created a professional standing force, loyal to state and princeps Scullard

Men fit to be slaves (senate) Tacitus

had seduced the army with gifts Tacitus

Agrippina the Younger

Agrippina was born to power and also its shadow Leadbetter

exceptionally illustrious birth is indisputable Tacitus

an appalling atmosphere of malevolence, suspicion and criminal violence Grant

Her privilege to caress Claudius had a noticeable effect on his passions the wedding took place without delay Suetonius

she was striking venomously around her Grant

in an almost male tyranny Leadbetter

Claudius was an uxorious fool Leadbetter

complete obedience was accorded to a woman this was a rigorous, almost masculine despotism Tacitus

feminine rage (Neros affair with Acte an Ex-slave) Warmington

beware the tricks of this always terrible and now insincere woman tacitus

"She would appear before her inebriated son all decked out ready for incest" - tacitus :D

Ancient Sparta

Spartan government was a number of systems that acted in a harmonious whole Cartledge

Spartan government was arranged in a hierarchy Welch

The Gerousia acted as a kind of ballast Plutarch

The Ephors were a pragmatic device to ensure the monarchys perpetuation Cartledge

The different elements acted as checks and balances to each other Cartledge

The boys learned to read and write no more than was necessary Plutarch

Boys were able to accommodate themselves more readily to anything put before them Xenophon

Xenophon is a pro-spartan Athenian exile Cartledge

At the temple of Artemis Orthia Plutarch witnessed many of them dying under the lashes

-Chump-

HELP!!

hey does anyone know any sites or any place i can get information on sparta and on New Kingdom Egypt to the death of Tutmose 3rd?/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)