quoting cloudstreet (or any other fiction texts) (1 Viewer)

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
I am having trouble deciding on how to quote cloudstreet.

Like it is hard to pull out a set of quotes that really back up what im trying to say..

Because i have to try to remember these quotes for the actual exam, whats the best way to go about it? Like i mean do you really need to quote word for word parts from the text, or can you simply refer to them?

Whats the expectation from the markers in terms of quotes for a text like cloudstreet....

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
If you're going to quote, quote as accurately as possible. If you forget any part of the quote try to condense it with an ellipse, or just refer to the section, or perhaps to the context, but that's not as effective.

You probably don't need hundreds of quotes.

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
ahhhhh dont scare me! hahaha

but how can you have so many though? Cos like unless you remember a full passage, they are not long enough to indicate anything specific, and support what you are saying...

could you give us an example??

(man your gonna kill the hsc i might also add)

TastesGoodBut

ill give you one sentence:

Back in Time the house at number one Cloud Street was big and empty, owned by a very respectable woman who set the house up as a refuge where Aboriginal girls taken away from their families could be made into ladies so they could set a standard for the rest of their sorry race.

and thats just off the top of my head lol...

its a pity about my module A and module C though...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You don't need to quote whole paragraphs of text, just the relevant sections. If there's something that you can only say by saying ALL of it, use an ellipse as i said

sweathers

Your quoting, and thats fantastic, but your merely retelling the story through quotes. Paraphrasing.

Will earn you no more marks.

Quotes are to be used to demonstrate composers meaning, intention, effect etc etc.

"ie. The composer provides an uncomfortable juxposition between the sarastically delivered line "a blue house" and the line "a red doornob" used repeatedly to demonstrate the regular function of entering a house"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)