Quoting or Paraphrasing? (1 Viewer)

rebooki

HSC
N/A
PARPHRASE EVERYONE!!!! unlesss you have quotes that are EXACTLY RIGHT
markers hate reading wrong quotes and you'll lose marks cause they wont take your essay etc seriously

classics_chic

HSC
Ultimately, the markers will prefer quoting, but there's nothing wrong with paraphrasing (and you don't have to spend your time remembering quotes!) Just remember basically what the historian had to say and incorporate it into your argument. In the end, they don't really care that much, so paraphrase away.

Mm_cookies

Banned
HSC
paraphrasing works well, espiecially if you cant remember the quote. but quoting shows the amount of work you put into the subject. so knowing a quote works, but if your not 100 per cent positive paraphrase

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
note: not a proper grammatical definition, but im too tired to work one out, so - very roughly:
you write (sic) after a quote, sometimes subscripted but not always, to let people know that this is an exact quote but you know that some of what it says is wrong. Basically two instances where you use it - one is where some of what the person says is right but some is wrong (or where what they say is right but the evidence is wrong), the other is when you're taking the mickey outta them. so, in ancient, you might use it with a quote from an old-school historian who wrote before some new evidence came to light.
If you have time to do that in an ancient exam with 45 mins per topic, you're an idiot.

Cab31

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If you have time to do that in an ancient exam with 45 mins per topic, you're an idiot.
Know some quotes but paraphrasing is generally fine. My ancient teacher said that he marked a response that got full marks one year and there was no direct quoting at all - only paraphrasing. You just have to source things and maintain the general idea of what your sources had to say.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
If you cant do that in an ancient exam, you're in trouble.

hottie_mira

silvermoon said:
im not sure why putting a footnote citing the source would make you run out of time...
in terms of structure - you should never have brackets in an essay. EVER. a bracket is an aside - ie. something you've deemed isn't on-topic and important to the essay. so, if it is important, put it in the essay properly. if it's not, why the hell are you wasting your time putting in irrelevant information?
i agree with silvermoon, my friend did her essay on augustus and the julio claudians, tried to remember so many quotes, forgot them all and ended up putting wat she thought was the quote in brackets the whole way thru her essay. she got the wrong historian with the wrong quotes..it was a mess. we told her to try not memorise every quote but she didnt listen!!

X

xeuyrawp

mira2005 said:
i agree with silvermoon, my friend did her essay on augustus and the julio claudians, tried to remember so many quotes, forgot them all and ended up putting wat she thought was the quote in brackets the whole way thru her essay. she got the wrong historian with the wrong quotes..it was a mess. we told her to try not memorise every quote but she didnt listen!!
Honestly, it's not hard to remember a few quotes, maybe 2 or 3 whole sentences + 4 or 5 short quotes for each section. But yes, I know someone who was fully obsessed with remembering quotes that he totally fucked up the essay because it had zero content. Just gotta do as much as you think is realistic (I think putting on accents help in remembering quotes :D), and go from there :)

hottie_mira

PwarYuex said:
Honestly, it's not hard to remember a few quotes, maybe 2 or 3 whole sentences + 4 or 5 short quotes for each section. But yes, I know someone who was fully obsessed with remembering quotes that he totally fucked up the essay because it had zero content. Just gotta do as much as you think is realistic (I think putting on accents help in remembering quotes :D), and go from there :)
putting on accents? lol that wuld totally fuck up my train of thought..lol

X

xeuyrawp

mira2005 said:
putting on accents? lol that wuld totally fuck up my train of thought..lol
It seriously helped me! I did it for English, too, with Huckleberry Finn I put on his terrible accent and I remembered all my quotes :)

hottie_mira

PwarYuex said:
It seriously helped me! I did it for English, too, with Huckleberry Finn I put on his terrible accent and I remembered all my quotes :)
hahaha, nup i cant do that except for king lear, the only way i can stay awake wen we read that is to put on little accents..teacher hates it tho..heheheh

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
If you cant do that in an ancient exam, you're in trouble.
Asy, it's a waste of time messing around with History Convention in the HSC exam; the HSC History exam is not real history, you only say the historian you're quoting and not his book, page etc: if I did that in a Uni paper or a history book, I'd be crucified!

Uni markers aren't looking to see whether you can mimic real convention, they just wanna see a stupid high-school essay that has the content nailed + backed up by evidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)