• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

R.I.P. Paul Hester (merged) (1 Viewer)

adsta

HSC
I'm speechless. I don't know whether I should believe it or not, I can't find any other place that mentions it. I hope it's not true, but if it is, R.I.P.

artfag

Banned
HSC
both split enz & kanye west are good. can't we all get along?

that's some sad news indeed, but i don't feel any sympathy for people who kill themselves. unless that person is hunter s. thompson.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
RIP Paul Hester

I am in shock...

Crowded House drummer found dead in park - Ninemsn
08:02 AEDT Mon Mar 28 2005

Crowded House drummer Paul Hester has been found dead in a park in Melbourne.

Hester, 46, the father of two young girls, failed to return home from walking his two dogs on Saturday night, Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper said.

It said police found his body on Sunday in Elsternwick Park near his home.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances, and friends said they were not aware of Hester having been depressed.

Hester quit Crowded House in 1994 but had reinvented himself as a drummer for hire, cafe owner and charismatic frontman of Music Max Sessions on Foxtel. He had also played drums in Split Enz from 1983 to 1984.

He lived in Elwood - a fashionable bayside suburb of Melbourne - with his girlfriend Mardi Sommerfeld and their two daughters aged eight and ten.

Such a brilliant musician, incredible man, powerful creative force...

RIP Paul "Hessie" Hester

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
R.I.P Paul... aww thats so sad, i used to love it when my dad put on crowded house when i was little... i cant even begin to imagine what his two little girls are goign through (i think the article said he had 2 little girls?)

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Crowded House is the music of the day(if not the week), thejosiekiller - I knew you'd be here...

I woke this morning to my brother telling me that Paul "Hessler" had died. "WHAT?!" I shouted. "I'm sorry, Missy" he said and left me lying in my bed, hand over my mouth. The news this morning confirmed my worst fears - Paul WAS found dead.

For the uninitiated, Hessie was the legendary drummer for Crowded House (and Split Enz 1983-4)- the one who sometimes doubled as vocalist, keyboard player and percussionist - with the "John Lennon-esque sense of humour". If you've ever seen ANY of their filmclips, you'll understand easily what I'm talking about. Hessie wrote some incredible songs (easily identifible against Neil's... all brilliant though) including, but not limited to, "Italian Plastic" (Woodface) and the very rock-inspired "Skin Feeling" (Together Alone)

I really am stung. I've cried a few times this morning - especially when watching a collage of old news footage, photos, and filmclips on the news. I couldn't help laughing and smiling, but the tears still welled up, and I had the task of secretly wiping them from my face in silence. Paul was brilliant, incredible, charismatic. An integral part of the Australian Music Industry, and, on a much smaller scale, my life.

If you've never experienced Crowded House, your life is lesser for it...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
:(:(

im going to watch the dreaming dvds- u can cleary see some of the nice and brilliant things you have said about him so perfectly

HSC
i still can't believe it did happen. he's seems so happy whenever i see him. now it's hard to hear their music the same way again now that this has happened. never knew he was that depressed. i would have never pictured him doing it until now. then again i'm not sure if he commit suicide or not.
RIP Paul. such a fantastic musician

Last edited:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
edit: okay from other sources im now hearing that after a long battle with depression paul did commit suicide :(:(

i feel sorry for him, it must have been a sad and lonely end for the man who was so colourful and active personality most of his life

Last edited:

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
... ohhh thats right, josie has dvds! I have none :(
I just CANNOT believe it's really happened. Shock has set in of course and I can't stop crying, but its difficult to grapple with the notion that he took his own life on Saturday night. Today is one of the saddest of my entire life...

the dream really is over... and CH has lost its heart and soul... :(

I feel so sorry for the Hester family, but can't help feeling for Neil and Tim - they are still on the Everyone Is Here tour (which I was blessed to see in Brissy for my bday... *sigh*) and there are supposed to play tomorrow night... I don't see how they could, but what I wouldn't give to be there if they do. The things that Neil will say at the next concert... that would be the most moving experience...

(...The irony of the "Crowded House" cover!!) *sigh*

"Together alone, above and beneath
We were as close, as anyone could be
Now you are gone, far away from me
As is once will always be...
Earth and sky, moon and sea...."

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
yeah but u got to go to their concert- i only saw them at waveaid :(

still i think ill be going out this week and buying more cds

i heard a rumour ages ago that they were going to release a dvd of farewell to the world dvd live at the opera house i think :) that would be great if they release that in his memory

its the one with throw your arms around em live and other great tracks guest artists

http://www.frenzforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001265

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)