• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

r u into asian films? (1 Viewer)

funniboi

HSC
lol , kung-fu hustle was okay, i watched it in mando, without english subtitles, even tho im mando i didn't get some parts, so yeah, hahahahaa. random bumcracks :D

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hmm.. I don't know about Kung Fu Hustle. It's absolutely jam packed with obscure Chinese martial art novel/movie references that might be hard for Western audiences to pick up. I think I got most of them and I still didn't really like it that much. A tad over the top for me. Give me Shaolin Soccer any day.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Flims (esp. comedies) are never nearly as good after translation or watched with subtitles...

Erm, shoalin soccer was pretty over the top too imo...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I really enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle. I like a few asian films cause they're different. My Sassy Girl is a classic example but I don't know if it will be lost in translation when Hollywood remakes it. I love the old chinese martial arts and ancient China series but I can't understand what they're say. I just like the costuming more then anything. Yeah I saw an ad for JSA but haven't watched it yet. Might go rent it some day.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I will definitely not watch the My Sassy Girl remake. I can't bare to see them destroy it.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Yeah JSA waz quite decent, only the Eng dialogue by the lead actress let it down.

And Infernal Affairz have some great actin involved, and the best performance I've seen so far, definitely goez to Choi Min Sik in Old Boy. That movie iz the best Asian movie I have ever watched.

funniboi

HSC
a remake of sassy girl ? oh noes.

it's just like how they turn the legend of speed into the fast and the furious.

wats JSA?

funniboi

HSC
OoOO i shall check it out then, maybe. :D

any other recommendations for top chinese movies ? :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Aragami
Princess Blade
Azumi 1 + 2
Devilman
Casshern

all i can think of right now

on MSG remake: one thing going for it, is that the story wasnt inherently korean, rather it was just placed within a korean culture and landscape, so that could be somewhat forgiven.

BUT, and its quite a formidable but, the two actors really captured the role and made it their own, i doubt hollywood could replicate or even attempt to capture the chemistry between the two.

fantasia

HSC
il mare is coming out next year (starring keanu reeves and sandra bullock)

i also liked taegukgi(korean), one nite in mongkok(cecilia, daniel wu).

oh yeh... go check out Battle Royale if you havent seen it. awesome flick +++

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
not stupid HK movies with people chasing other people who are in their underwear and all the other slapstick gags ....but some asian movies are decent. And no Taiwanese crap either, House of Flying Daggers my ass (OK that might have been mainland, I don't remember, but it sucked).
The last I watched was Peacock which won the silver bear at the Berlin Film Festival (I think...something in Berlin anyway) which was...alright. And some of the Korean films - My Sassy Girl...and an arty Jap one called Go which dealt with a relationship between a Korean guy and Jap girl (Japs traditionally look down on Koreans and Chinese....) which managed to be meaningful without being too cliche

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
miss_b said:
Japanese people look down upon chinese and korean people?
I haven't experienced it personally, but that's what my parents tell me as well. Not too many Japanese-Australian citizens though, so I really don't know.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Benny_ said:
I haven't experienced it personally, but that's what my parents tell me as well. Not too many Japanese-Australian citizens though, so I really don't know.
So that's why those japanese international students glare at us... :rolleyes:

Nah, i hear about it too but i didn't think it happened to people in our generation...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Am I the only one who thinks Kung Fu Hustle is highly overrated?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
studynoob said:
i always watch japanese horror flims (does that count towards asian films? *sarcastic*)

- ju-on the grudge 1 and 2
- the ring (japanese)
- phone (korean)
- one missed call (japanese)
- the eye (japanese)
- dark water (japanese)
and many more personally i find most originals better than the american remakes but the remakes are enjoyable to watch!!!

asian flims rocks!!!!
i found the japanese version of the grudge incredibly frightening

goddamn, the bit where she hides under the covers.

fucking scared the crap out of me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)