• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supercharged

HSC
N/A
88 said:
Well you care so much about race so how about - you go back to China or Hong Kong or where ever your from and watch TV with your people on. Because you've clearly made it obvious that your not Australian.

Thanks,:)

End of Thread.
According to your logic, blacks represented by oprah, italians represented by everbody loves raymond aren't Americans, and should just go back to Africa or Italy.

supercharged said:
According to your logic, blacks represented by oprah, italians represented by everbody loves raymond aren't Americans, and should just go back to Africa or Italy.
lol...

My logic is based on - you care so much for your "race" and your identify that your asian not Australian. Oprah identifies with being American etc.
You have proven that you don't like "your people" being misrepresented on TV (which they are not). So if their "your people" why don't you go back to "your people", because we certainly don't want you around.

EDIT: forgot an "n" in Australian :)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Where is this research that shows people don't want it? :rolleyes: There never has any noticible asian representation in local media, how can you make judgements on something which doesn't exist.

I gurantee that if it was the other way around, anglos would be decrying the discrimination against their race by the media.
you count make a sitcom abbout an asian family, but as if thats gonna relate to a wider audience. Its all about the rating , and i can safely say using a fereign culture thats so differnt to the one people are use to here, will not do any good for the ratings.

Plus america has a much bigger population and using the argument that they orient shows to black people, is a bad example, becuase they are probably more black people in american then the population fo australia.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
According to 2003 U.S. Census figures, some 37.1 million African Americans live in the United States, comprising 12.9 percent of the total population.

from wiki

i think i proved my point.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
88 said:
lol...

My logic is based on - you care so much for your "race" and your identify that your asian not Australian. Oprah identifies with being American etc.
You have proven that you don't like "your people" being misrepresented on TV (which they are not). So if their "your people" why don't you go back to "your people", because we certainly don't want you around.

EDIT: forgot an "n" in Australian :)
"Your people"? Oprah would identify herself as an 'Afro-American', not 'White American'.

So if I were to be as equally well represented as negros in America I should be able to see at least a noticble number of 'Asian-Australians' on TV which I currently do not. I can only see 'Anglo-Australians' which don't represent.

supercharged said:
"Your people"? Oprah would identify herself as an 'Afro-American', not 'White American'.

So if I were to be as equally well represented as negros in America I should be able to see at least a noticble number of 'Asian-Australians' on TV which I currently do not. I can only see 'Anglo-Australians' which don't represent.
I wasn't going to say it but.. You are Fucking Idiot.

And we all know there is no use debating with a idiot. :rolleyes:

I'm OUT.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
you count make a sitcom abbout an asian family, but as if thats gonna relate to a wider audience. Its all about the rating , and i can safely say using a fereign culture thats so differnt to the one people are use to here, will not do any good for the ratings.

Plus america has a much bigger population and using the argument that they orient shows to black people, is a bad example, becuase they are probably more black people in american then the population fo australia.
That's true about blacks but how about Italians then? They got 'the sopranoes' and 'everybody loves raymond'. Jews have the 'O.C.' and 'seinfield'. However minorities groups are squeezed out by the Australian media, if you're not of anglo descent forget any representation on tv.

Actually forget about a whole tv show, there isn't even any major asian characters on tv. Zero representation.

Last edited:
HSC
supercharged said:
Actually forget about a whole tv show, there isn't even any major asian characters on tv. Zero representation.
Especially not on cooking shows. "And for dis recipe, you need 5 kilo, of chop SIAMESE kitten.. For, for making nice sooop!"

*laughs on floor*

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
That's true about blacks but how about Italians then? They got 'the sopranoes' and 'everybody loves raymond'. Jews have the 'O.C.' and 'seinfield'. However minorities groups are squeezed out by the Australian media, if you're not of anglo descent forget any representation on tv.

yeh but are those shows really trying to relate to the race? i think they just have chracters that do stuff thats appealing to the wider audience.
if your arguemnt is why dont we have asian people taking roles in those shows, then i agree and see no reason not to.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
yeh but are those shows really trying to relate to the race? i think they just have chracters that do stuff thats appealing to the wider audience.
if your arguemnt is why dont we have asian people taking roles in those shows, then i agree and see no reason not to.
:uhhuh: that's my point!

Mainstream media should at least have some asian people as major characters in TV shows to improve representation just like minorities in US TV programs, cos asians do make up a large portion of the minority groups in Australia.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
The last time I checked the term black was considered offensive. Of course we could go back to classing Asians as yellows. Also you still haven't responded to my last post about Blue Heelers.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
The last time I checked the term black was considered offensive. Of course we could go back to classing Asians as yellows. Also you still haven't responded to my last post about Blue Heelers.
And when was the last time you checked? Black is not an offensive term at all.

Fine, substitute blue heelers with better homes and gardens, the great outdoors, neighbours, all saints, whatever :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
:uhhuh: that's my point!

Mainstream media should at least have some asian people as major characters in TV shows to improve representation just like minorities in US TV programs, cos asians do make up a large portion of the minority groups in Australia.
Mainstream media DOES have asian representation.

Check SBS or ABC, they feature asian reporters as well as other 'minorities.'

Children shows such as Hi-5 or Play School? Home and Away had the racism forum with the Chinese lady. Neighbours had the half kiwi, half chinese. Radio features several australians of asian descent.

Like someone said, if you have so much trouble digesting the fact that the set power bases of media, particularly commercial television, have no real regulations on such 'minority content' then perhaps you should pack up shop and head back to wherever it is you came from.

HSC
I wonder how many asians living here have actually tried to get on TV and not made it. If there are some which exist, and this has been done as a direct result of their race, then that's what I'd call discrimination, not the fact that there's not a token asian on every single show on tv to keep people who think race is a big deal (like yourself) happy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But by his very logic, the major channels of China and Asian countries should represent more black and white people on their mainstream TVs :rolleyes:

HSC
It's a good point, I must admit the under representation of the minority that is white people living in Asia on mainstream television there keeps me awake at night. Why aren't there shows like Takeshi's Castle - Paleface Edition! :(

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Because this thread had no direction or apparent point, I've added some guide points for discussion to the initial post -
  • How prevalent is racism in Australia?
  • Does it often occur in the media, workplace, school, socially?
  • Does it impact on employment prospects?
  • What do our political leaders do about it?
  • Where were we and where are we heading?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)