• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Radiography at usyd? (1 Viewer)

x3Reii

HSC
Hey, just wondering how good this course is? Will I get hired after I graduate? What is the pay like? Job prospects?

I'm really excited to be doing this in March! :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I have a feeling there is a good demand out there - although maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I read somewhere a while ago there is a shortage of sonographers, a field akin to radiology.

Last edited:
A

autismsuperstar

demand is shit lol man you need to research this stuff

general radiography is over saturated with graduates. too many graduates, not enough PDY positions

yeah there is a need for sonographers but that's an extra two years of training on top of your radiography degree

maybe you should look at nuc med instead

Bobbo1

HSC
demand is shit lol man you need to research this stuff

general radiography is over saturated with graduates. too many graduates, not enough PDY positions

yeah there is a need for sonographers but that's an extra two years of training on top of your radiography degree

maybe you should look at nuc med instead
+1

avro

HSC
My Dad is a radiographer and they constantly have Sydney Uni students doing their clinical blocks at his work. Although there is not a high demand for radiographers at the moment because of the graduate over-supply, chances are you may get lucky and be employed by them (Dad's work recently hired two of their former students upon graduation). Having said this, it is important to make and leave a positive impression. It isn't only your willingness to learn and cooperation with staff. As you're working with people, it is also important to demonstrate your 'people skills' and also develop a flair for reassuring and calming patients (like any health care professional). It is much like the legal industry, although there is a current over-supply, if you leave a positive impression with your employers/colleagues (especially with your clinical supervisor) get excellent grades, and demonstrate great communication skills, you should be reasonably okay :)

Dylanamali

HSC
My Dad is a radiographer and they constantly have Sydney Uni students doing their clinical blocks at his work. Although there is not a high demand for radiographers at the moment because of the graduate over-supply, chances are you may get lucky and be employed by them (Dad's work recently hired two of their former students upon graduation). Having said this, it is important to make and leave a positive impression. It isn't only your willingness to learn and cooperation with staff. As you're working with people, it is also important to demonstrate your 'people skills' and also develop a flair for reassuring and calming patients (like any health care professional). It is much like the legal industry, although there is a current over-supply, if you leave a positive impression with your employers/colleagues (especially with your clinical supervisor) get excellent grades, and demonstrate great communication skills, you should be reasonably okay :)
do you know what the pay/salary is like?

emlehhh

HSC
I'm doing the course at Usyd, just completed second year. It's a little unorganised at times - second year is fairly bludgy! Like arvo suggests, try to make excellent impressions on placements - we're all terrified we won't get jobs at the end of the year :S

Enjoy the cadavers in first year ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)