Radiography/Radiation Therapy at USYD (1 Viewer)

savio23q

Band
HSC
I've been thinking about putting one of these 2 courses as my preferences for uni next year but I don't have much info about them. Has anyone studied either of the two or know anyone that has? What are they like - easy, fun, hard, interesting? Also, which of the two would you recommend? I'm leaning more towards radiography but I might miss out due to the UAI requirement.

Any help is appreciated :)

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
I can be found wondering the streets or the alley
HSC
I would recommend Radiography from what friends have told me because of the actual work they do can be interesting in a hospital setting and also the subjects that MRS students do in 1st year are fairly similar but changing in 2nd yr. I would also recommend that you find the Functional Anatomy A notes because that subject is really hard and they will help you.

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
savio23q said:
I've been thinking about putting one of these 2 courses as my preferences for uni next year but I don't have much info about them. Has anyone studied either of the two or know anyone that has? What are they like - easy, fun, hard, interesting? Also, which of the two would you recommend? I'm leaning more towards radiography but I might miss out due to the UAI requirement.

Any help is appreciated :)
You will find some information with the previous threads regarding radiography. srsly, go read them they will be useful.

Currently in NSW there are 3 universities providing medical radiation science as an accredited course by the Australian Institute of Radiography: University of Sydney, University of Newcastle, and Charles Sturt University. The AIR is the governing body for all medical radiation workers. link here

I can't tell you if its hard or not. Everyone has different weaknesses and strengths - some will find particular subjects hard, some will find the same thing easy. However generally people find the neurology component of Structure, Function and Anatomy II in first year rather tedious.

Radiography is like photography, except the subject is human anatomy. There will be some physics involved so that you understand how x-rays work, and how to use the x-rays to produce a good diagnostic image for the doctors.

There are heaps more job opportunities in radiography than radiation therapy, simply because there is more demand for medical imaging than radiation treatment. You see small private medical imaging places around, but you'll never see radiation therapy private practices because they're only available in major hospitals.

If you're worried about missing out on the radiography cut-off, its not a big deal. People transfer over from other courses all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)