radioisotope (1 Viewer)

doodydo

HSC
N/A
dot point- describe way in which a named radioisotope is used and explain its use in terms of its chemical properties-

part that i'm stuck on is the chem prop-

the teacher said the prop that correspond to the original form of the element. isn't it jsut the general radioisotope props? AHHH!! which?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
eg, Tc99m-for use in diagnostic medicine coz of low ionizing power, relatively short half life, easily detectable, easily emitted from the body, that sorta stuff

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Another one is Americum, which emits alpha rays, used in smoke detectors. Has long half-life so doesn't need changing.

Not harmful unless inhaled.

For the smoke detector it works by ionising the air, and when smoke goes into the detector, it will interfere with the ionisation and reduce the amount being ionised thus setting off the alarm.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by doodydo
the teacher said the prop that correspond to the original form of the element. isn't it jsut the general radioisotope props? AHHH!! which?
really? im not sure then... you're teacher might be too smart :)

what happen if you were doing Tc99m like hipsta_jess described? Tc99m can only be radioactive... since its not found as a just normal element. so i don't know... why don't you just ask you're teacher LOL. ;)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by doodydo
Going by the wording of the dot point a named radioisotope... isotope being the main thing it would more then likely be a specific form such at Technetium 99m, Cobolt-60 etc.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
They also ask how radioisotopes are formed (i.e. cyclotrons, nuclear reactors...knock knock, remember our HSC???)

ugh, think I got most of that one wrong but, meh.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
funnie thing is: in da dot pt, it actually mentions CHEMICAL properties.... so half life, intensity of radiation would be redundant... cuz they r nuclear properties... my tutor told me this btw, whereas, my chem teacher said dat board os prolly got confused wif chemical n nuclear for fun.... if a question is asked how ever, i would stick both chemical and nuclear properties in....

newaz, here's wut i got:

tc-99m

nuclear: relatively short half life (6 hrs) hence, it won't remain in the body for too long to cause any major damage to body tissues...

relative weak yet penetrable radiation emmited (gamma only) so that detectors out side body can detect the emission while it causes least damage to body tissues

chemical:
its oxidation number can be easily altered to attach to different biologically active substrates, hence easily making it specific to individual organs...

na-24
nuclear: relative short half life (15 hrs) so that it is long enuf for the workers to work out the leak, short enuf to not leave any permanent threate to the water way

intensity (as above... )

chemcial: ionically bonded to cl, hence dissolvable in water, making it suitable to detect pipe leaks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)