radioisotopes (1 Viewer)

chip

HSC
i talked about the cyclotrons (is that what it is) and nuclear reactors

jims

HSC
yes i think theyre the main ones. mayb something about the process to: u bombard something with something and u get something. mayb an example would also help: bombard Na-23 with neutrons in a reactor to get Na-24 or bombard water containing O-18 with protons in a cyclotron to get F-18.

nero_46

A common method of radioisotope production is by neutron activation in a nuclear reactor. This involves the capture of a neutron by the nucleus of an atom resulting in excess neutrons (neutron-rich).

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
commercial radioisotopes are generally produced in nuclear reactors. Suitable target nuclei are placed in the reactor core and bombarded with neutrons until the required radioisotope is produced (eg Co-60 is produced from Co-59). NB; these radioisotopes need not be transuranic elements.
Also, radioisotopes may be produced as a direct product of nuclear fission (when a heavy nuclei captures a neutron, then breaks apart into similarly-sized fragments). For example, the 'mother' or precursor of technetium-99m (molybdenum something? i can't remember...) is a product of uranium fission.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Molybdenum-99, prepared by placing special pellets of UO2 in the reactor core for about a week.

99Mo then decays to 99M Tc (Technetium-99m) as sique pointed out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)