Rain Rain, go away, come again another day (1 Viewer)

sevenpuddings

HSC
HELP PLEASE!

How would you describe the smell that comes when its raining in summer? i think its going to be my motif throughout my story andi cannot think of any way of describing it at the moment, and its driving me nuts! can anyone help?

HSC
N/A
It can be sweet and cool, or thick and really humid, sometimes even sort of a "dry" smell (like when it hits hot concrete).

Hmm... so much easier to describe temperature than smell...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
glitterfairy said:
It can be sweet and cool, or thick and really humid, sometimes even sort of a "dry" smell (like when it hits hot concrete).

Hmm... so much easier to describe temperature than smell...
ooooo nice...

how about....

"It smells harsh like a vicarious outburst in the midst of a warzone"

or...

"It has a luscious smell, a smell so sweet it overrides the calamity of a hot burning sun, that we may forget and be able to relish and enjoy the rain drop as it falls upon our head"

don't know... glitterfairy is right.. it is much easier to describe the temperature

get_born

Your'e probably not doing poetry, but maybe this can get the inspiration flowing...

RAIN IN SUMMER

How beautiful is the rain!
After the dust and heat,
In the broad and fiery street,
In the narrow lane,
How beautiful is the rain!

How it clatters along the roofs,
Like the tramp of hoofs
How it gushes and struggles out
From the throat of the overflowing spout!

Across the window-pane
It pours and pours;
And swift and wide,
With a muddy tide,
Like a river down the gutter roars
The rain, the welcome rain!

By : Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

When you say rain in summer i personally think of... the days its rained after the grass has been cut and then the sun comes out...i love that smell. Also that feeling of the school ashphalt in summer's swealtering heat, it rains, and as soon as the first drops hit the hot, sticky cement a feeling of hot air just rushes right up through your legs and out through the top of your shirt like a baloon . Now the atmosphere around you that once was hot and dry is now thick and humid.

Rain in summer can also be symbolic and not just a feeling. For example:
- rain can represent freedom.

* Too much heat might feel like an outdoor jail, you can't really go anywhere. When the rain comes out, the doors of the prison gates open and you feel released.
*Weather is a reomte control. The summer heat makes people feel motionless like someone pressing pause. Then the moment it rains, the pause button is released you can play.

-Rain in summer can be symbolic of freedom, release, relief, let off, discharge, and a way of "letting off steam" or "clearing the air". But just the same, the summer sun can also be symbolic of these things.

* When it comes to playing outdoor sports, events, parties, some excursions and so on, rain is never a good thing. So you have to cancel and so on.

Umm... dont know if this will help as well but here is a website that has a list of songs to do with rain and each song has a link to its lyrics

http://www.lacarte.org/songs/rain/

Well that's all i can come up with for now, not really sure what you wanted. But anyway i hope it helps... goodluck with your short story.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
read perfume by susskind if you are basing your 4u on smells

its the zenith of olfactory savoir faire

HSC
N/A
Ooh! Perfume... that's a good place to go for descriptive words.

Heady/Light/Strong/dense/lingering/deeper notes/undertone/dry/ masculine/feminine/suprising/refreshing/cool/lush etc

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
when it rains after a really hot dry day i think i hear sizzling :)
like when you put a hot frying pan in cold water it sizzles and steam comes out.
that sizzle gives the rain a nice soil-ish smell :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)