Random Q's (1 Viewer)

Mandzi

HSC
Hey guys!
I just have some random questions here-
1)Can anyone tell me about the residential scholarships? I mean like, what kind of information do you need to give them, how many scholarships do they tend to give out etc. Also, it said on their website that info about the scholarships would be available in July, does anyone know exactly when (or am I just not looking in the right spot)?
2)I'm hoping to do a Bachelor of Laws/BA next year and I'm hoping to get in with the early entry scheme. I've heard that they are usually easy to get if you aren't failing all your subjects, but I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about what kind of things they actually look at eg. your trial exam/half yearly/prelim marks, community service, whether you were school captain or on the SRC etc?
3)I was wondering about how you do your laundry if you stay on campus? Is there a shared laundry and dryer/clothesline or something like that, and if so, does it cost you extra to use it? Do you have to bring your own ironing board and iron?
4)Finally (for now at least) what kind of food do they serve you on campus? Is there vegetarian food available? What about lunch, I read that if you stay on campus you get 3 meals a day, do you make a sandwich or something and take it with you, or what?
Thanks a bunch in advance!

lawgrad1

HSC
Ok, let's answer your questions in turn ....

1) In regards to residential scholarships, each college tends to have their own on offer. For example, I went to Earle Page and they have a number of scholarships available for first years (http://www.une.edu.au/campus/earle-page/prospects/index.html). I'm not too sure about the other colleges, but the kind of information needed to apply is basically the same as if you were going for an academic scholarship. For example, if you want to apply for a residential sports scholarship, more of your sporting achievements will be required. Info on the scholarships should be coming out soon, but you could always contact the individual colleges for more info.

2) I did a BA/LLB degree at UNE so I can tell you abit of info on the course if needed. From what I remember about the early entry scheme, UNE will look at everything. In the applications, I think you have to put down quite a bit of info, but it tends to go on what your principal writes down in the report. Obviously, if you've done quite a bit of stuff (ie: community service) combined with solid exam marks, it'll look pretty good on the report your principal will write.

3) I don't know about the other colleges, but at Earle Page, there are two laundries each with about 8 washing machines. The washing machines are free to use (although you bring your own washing powder). There are a couple of clotheslines there and a drying room but alot of people tend to bring clothes-horses and use those in their room (it comes in handy particularly during winter). There are a couple of dryers which you have to pay to use. Each floor has their own ironing board with iron.

4) Again, the food situation varies depending on which college you go to. Earle Page has a vegetarian option. You get three meals a day and there's always bread/cold meat/jams etc available if you want to make a sandwich.

Hope this helps. :)

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
I'm doing a BCOM/LLB at UNE. With the early entry scheme UNE are not very strict. I can't remember the form exactly but you get rated 1-7 (form your different classes) if you get threes of better your pretty set(if ones are still the best). I got early entry although got the mark needed anyway.
If you get a chance depending on where your from go for a country scholarship i'm on one and there worth 5,000 a year (which helps when you can't get anything off the government). You need to get over 85 UAI, do good citizenship stuff and go well in sport. They hand out 20-30 each year from memory. good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)