Randomly Nooby Questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey! Ive been reading the forum for quite a while now and stumbled across some things I want to know about. Hope you can help me out:

1) What is this "Mature Age Student" scheme at 21? What is the selection criteria?
2) What is Newstep?
3) Is TAFE courses supported by HECS? And besides the early application dates, is Enrolment the only step i need in early february to secure a place at TAFE?

Thanks in advance, sorry if my questions are horrifically moronic, I just want to find out all I can about further study options. Any information will be great. :uhhuh:

freaked

HSC
Go to the websites for these for more information. The sites will be more help than what most people can tell you.

For info on Open Foundation (which I think is your mature age) and Newstep go to http://www.newcastle.edu.au/centre/elfsc/index.html

Its getting a bit late for Newstep applications, you'd need to hurry for that. Newstep is for 17-20 year olds who have experiences difficulties with their education in years 10, 11 & 12.
Eligible people are those:
from low income backgrounds or who are socio-economically disadvantaged;
from rural and isolated regions;
with a disability;
from non-English speaking backgrounds;
from an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background;
who have faced other adverse circumstances eg a family or personal crisis; illness; or other prolonged disruption to schooling; and
who have attended a high school which is designated by the NSW Department of Education and Training as a Priority Funded School

Tafe courses are not (to my knowledge) supported by HECS.
Depending on the course you want to apply for you may need to sit an entry exam.
go to http://www.tafensw.edu.au/ for more info.

Hope that helps.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Walking Mushroo said:
Hey! Ive been reading the forum for quite a while now and stumbled across some things I want to know about. Hope you can help me out:

1) What is this "Mature Age Student" scheme at 21? What is the selection criteria?
2) What is Newstep?
3) Is TAFE courses supported by HECS? And besides the early application dates, is Enrolment the only step i need in early february to secure a place at TAFE?

Thanks in advance, sorry if my questions are horrifically moronic, I just want to find out all I can about further study options. Any information will be great. :uhhuh:
1) Some universities allow people over the age of 21 to apply to university with no qualifications but rather on the basis of either work experience, a personal statement, STAT or a combination of the three. Also at that age you would be able to undertake a Limited UAI which allows you to take less subjects to recieve a UAI.

2) Pretty much covered by the previous poster.

3)TAFE courses are not covered by HECS - they don't need to be because their prices are more than moderate for example an entire TAFE Diploma will likely cost less than a year of HECS in a BNursing.

As for placement with TAFE, if the course is popular or they have insufficient places or there is a certain level of profficiency required in certain things then a placement test may be administered, don't worry though as they are pretty simple. Depending on the course you might also be expected to undergo an interview or submit a portfolio of your work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)