ranking question (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
if i was to come first in all my subjects below..am i guaranteed a uai of 90+? and say i come first in 4 subjects, and i dont come first in the external...will i still be able to get a good uai?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's not a guaranteed thing.

When you are ranked first, it will mean that you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC mark.

So if you are in a very low performing school and the highest mark ends up not being that high, it's possible to still get below 90.

Though, usually, in most cases, coming first is an indication that you are doing well and usually you'd get over 90. But it's not guaranteed.

HSC
you aren't guaranteed a 90+ UAI (you might have a shit year), but chances are if you top everything you will.

if you come first in internals as long as you dont stuff it up too badly (and if you dont finish too far behind the higher ranked exams) you should be ok.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Ragerunner said:
It's not a guaranteed thing.

When you are ranked first, it will mean that you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC mark.

So if you are in a very low performing school and the highest mark ends up not being that high, it's possible to still get below 90.

Though, usually, in most cases, coming first is an indication that you are doing well and usually you'd get over 90. But it's not guaranteed.
So, suppose that you were ranked first, and for some reason, completely flunked the final exam (theoretically speaking)...you would still get the highest HSC mark?

HSC
define flunk? if you come first, get 90 internally and 70 externally (top ranked got 90) you won't get that 90 exam mark.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Mark576 said:
So, suppose that you were ranked first, and for some reason, completely flunked the final exam (theoretically speaking)...you would still get the highest HSC mark?
No not necessarily. You are person A. U get average of 90 through year. Person B gets 80. If in HSC you get 70, person B get 95 you will NOT get higher than that person for exam mark. You need to have a closer mark to them eg/ 93.

And for rankings in general i ranked 1st for 3 subjects (bio, g maths, ext 2 eng), 2nd for chem, ext 1 eng, hospitalit and 5th for adv eng...so fairly good rankings. UAI 74.60...like others said ur school marks count as well so topping all subjects is in no way a guarentee of 90+ uai

bmwz4

HSC
but wouldnt getting 90+ internal assessment indicate that u will do well in ur external (assuming you wont wreck it) and study a lot for it....plus my school is ranked 300ish and the highest uai last year was 98...so if top my subjects what else can i possibly do?

williamc

HSC
bmwz4 said:
but wouldnt getting 90+ internal assessment indicate that u will do well in ur external (assuming you wont wreck it) and study a lot for it....plus my school is ranked 300ish and the highest uai last year was 98...so if top my subjects what else can i possibly do?

If you rank first no matter what school you go to, you will determine your own results. If you score 50% in the school ranked last in the state but rank first in the grade and in the hsc exams you score 95 aligned your hsc mark woudl be 95. Thus meaning you could get a UAI of 90+

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you were ranked first, then flunked the final exam, you'd still get the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC Assessment mark. That may or may not be your own mark.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
bmwz4 said:
No, might just mean that your teachers are very easy markers. Basically, you determine your own mark in the exam if you get 1st rank in your subjects.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Ragerunner said:
If you were ranked first, then flunked the final exam, you'd still get the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC Assessment mark. That may or may not be your own mark.
This isnt alwyas the case is it?

Coz with me i came first in ext 2 eng, and then person b came 2nd, c 3rd. Come the hsc i came 2nd, person b 3rd and erson c who got lowest mark came first by 1 mark...its not a lot i know but rankings didnt help

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
dion7789 said:
This isnt alwyas the case is it?

Coz with me i came first in ext 2 eng, and then person b came 2nd, c 3rd. Come the hsc i came 2nd, person b 3rd and erson c who got lowest mark came first by 1 mark...its not a lot i know but rankings didnt help
I'm not sure what you are trying to say in that.

When you are ranked first internally, it means you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC assessment mark. This mark may or may not be your own. If you were ranked first internally, and come last in the HSC exam with say 75/100. And person C was ranked last internally but scored the highest HSC exam mark of 95/100 then your HSC mark will be the average of 75 and 95. From this, person A who was ranked first but flunked the final HSC exam will received high HSC assessment mark.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
All i was saying basically is that i ranked first internally but come hsc mark releasal i got the 2nd highest mark, not highest

bmwz4

HSC
Ragerunner said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say in that.

When you are ranked first internally, it means you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your HSC assessment mark. This mark may or may not be your own. If you were ranked first internally, and come last in the HSC exam with say 75/100. And person C was ranked last internally but scored the highest HSC exam mark of 95/100 then your HSC mark will be the average of 75 and 95. From this, person A who was ranked first but flunked the final HSC exam will received high HSC assessment mark.
so to really take advantage of coming 1st...i should first of all come 1st in all my subjects and then try to come 1st externally or even second...so say i come 2nd externally with 86 and 1st is 95...it will will be an advantage to me since its the average of 86 and 95 = 90....

HSC
if you come first in school provided you dont severely screw up the hsc exam you will get the highest exam mark.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
how does school ranking affect your UAI?
And what happens to the schools that don't have half yearly exams but assessments instead, where they either do it in class or do at home and hand it in?

HSC
Buiboi said:
how does school ranking affect your UAI?
And what happens to the schools that don't have half yearly exams but assessments instead, where they either do it in class or do at home and hand it in?
school ranking doesnt affect it at all, your rank within the school does.

the format of internal assessments is totally up to your school. they are the ones who are going to send your marks and ranks to the BOS. but of course some schools have easier tests than others which is why they have a common exam at the end which evens everything out. using the exam marks/ranks and the school ranks/marks they moderate your marks so everyone is at a level playing field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)