Rankings of Unis (1 Viewer)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Because I'm not in uni and I'm making most of my time to research!

kartman

HSC
Tuna said:
As if U.S unis are any good! It is easier to get into uni and do law there than here! I wonder why there are so many U.S unis in the top spots. Biased, biased!
the ivy league unis there have an acceptance rate for freshmen of around 10%.

I dont think any uni here can compete with that. It might be easy to get into a local college there but to get into the big established unis is far harder than getting into the go8 unis here...

Hanzo

HSC
technically melbourn is better than sydney
as in the cities
sure sydney is a little bit bigger..
sure syd and melb were both fighting to become the capital
hence the outcome of canberra which lies approx. in the middle of both syd and melb..
how ever melb is better than syd in many ways..
first of all the ratio of chick to guys is 2:1 in melb (1:2 in syd)
also any imports from overseas gets shipped to Melbourne first..
so they get access to new products earlier than us here in sydney.
where we hafto wait for them blokes up in melb to send te goods over via trucks..

peace^^

Tuna

HSC
N/A
kartman said:
the ivy league unis there have an acceptance rate for freshmen of around 10%.

I dont think any uni here can compete with that. It might be easy to get into a local college there but to get into the big established unis is far harder than getting into the go8 unis here...
Freshmen are poor(majorities are scholars!) If you have a tight family circle then there is a 90 percent of more chances of getting in the top university there(you don't even need to compete!) Get it?

So it is easier to get into uni there. No competition among the riches. Of course freshmen have to compete with each other because they want those scholarships.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
epsilon said:
Hey guys, doesn't it piss you off that Victorian unis seem to always kick NSW unis's asses when it comes to those rankings?

Why is it that Melbourne Uni consistantly kicks Sydney Uni and UNSW's asses? Is that our equivalent of Harvard or Cambridge or something? I wonder if it's cut-offs for courses there are much higher than here or something?

And according to THES 2005, Monash Uni also came in higher than Sydney Uni/UNSW.
1. It doesn't piss me off, I'm going to Melbourne Uni this year. Boorah!
2. Because Melbourne Uni is the better university of the three...cut-offs are fairly high, for instance, a basic Bachelor of Arts at Uni of Melb this year was 92.5 (give or take 0.3).
3. Monash is good too...cut-offs aren't as high.

kartman

HSC
Skillo said:
1. It doesn't piss me off, I'm going to Melbourne Uni this year. Boorah!
2. Because Melbourne Uni is the better university of the three...cut-offs are fairly high, for instance, a basic Bachelor of Arts at Uni of Melb this year was 92.5 (give or take 0.3).
3. Monash is good too...cut-offs aren't as high.
bah the cutoffs at melbourne are decieving to say the least :rofl:

the cutoffs for engineering was higher at monash clayton so was commerce/engineering. Many of my mates got into commerce and commerce/law at unimelb but didnt get an offer from monash since the fringe ENTER at melbourne is way lower than monash. A friend of mine got 89.40 but got into melbourne commerce but not into monash. Another guy from school got into com/law at unimelb with an ENTER of 98.6 but didnt get into monash since the fringe wasnt that low...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Victorian Go8 Unis have been spending their monies more effiecently than their NSW counterpart..

we have more places .. for university education... at the older unis than in the US... hence the different rates of entrance..... cost is also restrictive in the US..

Joeno

HSC
Tuna said:
As if U.S unis are any good! It is easier to get into uni and do law there than here! I wonder why there are so many U.S unis in the top spots. Biased, biased!
Uhhh, it's not harder here. If you go to US (or Canada), you'll find that the university entrance regime is distinctly more difficult than here. A UAI of 99.5+ may look very high, but remember that it is scaled. ;)

To get into Law/Med in a good uni in America, you'll need about an average of 95/100 RAW (no scaling). That takes into consideration that you do the necessary (hard) Year 12 subjects as well. All of this translates to about 99.9-100 uai :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Joeno said:
Uhhh, it's not harder here. If you go to US (or Canada), you'll find that the university entrance regime is distinctly more difficult than here. A UAI of 99.5+ may look very high, but remember that it is scaled. ;)

To get into Law/Med in a good uni in America, you'll need about an average of 95/100 RAW (no scaling). That takes into consideration that you do the necessary (hard) Year 12 subjects as well. All of this translates to about 99.9-100 uai :)
they only hav grad medical/law schools..

u cant compare them in that sense..

they have BA and BSc as prereq which are very different to yr 12..

epsilon

HSC
The US universities system is broken. They run their universities there like businesses. All 8 of the Ivy League unis there are private ones, with hefty tuition fees. So don't be duped into thinking that Ivy League graduates there are all top class students and such. It has more to do with how wealthy those kids are. Case point: George W. Bush - Yale.

And John Howard and Brendan Nelson are idiots in wanting to emulate the US universities model.

I say that universities belong to the people, and that it should be heavily subsidised by the government. At least Oxbridge are still heavily funded by the UK govt.

On another point, in the US, it is only difficult to get into those Ivy League unis, however, its actually easier there to get into a general uni compared to Australia. There are heaps more unis in the US than Aus, and practically everyone's got a degree from somewhere there.

Last edited:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
epsilon said:
On another point, in the US, it is only difficult to get into those Ivy League unis, however, its actually easier there to get into a general uni compared to Australia. There are heaps more unis in the US than Aus, and practically everyone's got a degree from somewhere there.
But US also has a lot more people than Australia?

I don't think you'll find many people down in Harlem with degrees...from anywhere.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Hanzo said:
technically melbourn is better than sydney
as in the cities
sure sydney is a little bit bigger..
sure syd and melb were both fighting to become the capital
hence the outcome of canberra which lies approx. in the middle of both syd and melb..
how ever melb is better than syd in many ways..
first of all the ratio of chick to guys is 2:1 in melb (1:2 in syd)
also any imports from overseas gets shipped to Melbourne first..
so they get access to new products earlier than us here in sydney.
where we hafto wait for them blokes up in melb to send te goods over via trucks..

peace^^
then y dont you fuck off and get down to the south side of the boarder, i hope you enjoy afl players biting testicles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)