ranks needed for 90 ATAR (1 Viewer)

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC
I’m gunning for at least 90 ATAR to be safe. I will most likely get the 5 bonus points from English advanced b6 so getting 88 ATAR will still get me into my course anyways

what ranks do I exactly need for this ATAR? is it top 5 in everything Or do I have to get 1st in most subjects? my school rank fluctuates between 90-150 and here are my subjects and the b6 for each year from my school 2016-2022

business studies: 9/3/2/3/4/5/4
math standard 2: 6/1/5/1/7/2/5
english advanced: 6/7/10/7/2/4/7
pdhpe: 2/6/0/1/1/0/0
legal: 6/2/2/2/3/2/6

if anything could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, at a school that is ranked in the range that you provided, placing in the top 5 students in your cohort in most of your subjects would be consistent with a 90+ ATAR. This is especially applicable to Business Studies, Mathematics Standard, and English Advanced. Of course, if you can place higher within the top 5 students in these subjects, this will only serve to further increase your ATAR.

In terms of PDHPE and Legal Studies, you may need to place slightly higher within the top 5 to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal. This is especially applicable to PDHPE, since it seems that the performance of previous cohorts (except for one) was not of a sufficiently favourable standard. While this does not determine the performance of your own cohort in this subject, it can potentially indicate the standard of performance that you can expect from other students in your cohort.

In terms of the notion of being ranked first in any of your subjects, this would lead to an advantageous position as it would mean that you can make the moderation process work in your favour. Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark (internal mark) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark) of any student in the cohort. This means that, if you are ranked first in a subject, your internal mark will be made equal to the highest external mark achieved by any student in your cohort (including yourself). Based on this, if you are also able to achieve the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort in the subject, that will become your overall HSC mark for the subject. This would therefore be a significant opportunity for you to achieve an ATAR that would exceed your target.

I hope this helps! :D

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC
Yes, at a school that is ranked in the range that you provided, placing in the top 5 students in your cohort in most of your subjects would be consistent with a 90+ ATAR. This is especially applicable to Business Studies, Mathematics Standard, and English Advanced. Of course, if you can place higher within the top 5 students in these subjects, this will only serve to further increase your ATAR.

In terms of PDHPE and Legal Studies, you may need to place slightly higher within the top 5 to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal. This is especially applicable to PDHPE, since it seems that the performance of previous cohorts (except for one) was not of a sufficiently favourable standard. While this does not determine the performance of your own cohort in this subject, it can potentially indicate the standard of performance that you can expect from other students in your cohort.

In terms of the notion of being ranked first in any of your subjects, this would lead to an advantageous position as it would mean that you can make the moderation process work in your favour. Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark (internal mark) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark) of any student in the cohort. This means that, if you are ranked first in a subject, your internal mark will be made equal to the highest external mark achieved by any student in your cohort (including yourself). Based on this, if you are also able to achieve the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort in the subject, that will become your overall HSC mark for the subject. This would therefore be a significant opportunity for you to achieve an ATAR that would exceed your target.

tysm

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
ranks needed for 99+ atar?
At a low-ranking school, a student would need to rank as high as possible internally (first place being ideal) and perform at the highest standard in their HSC exams to maximise their chances of achieving a 99+ ATAR. On the other hand, a student would still need to place relatively high if they are attending a high-ranking school, although their ranks will not need to be as high as those at a low-ranking school. With that being said, they still need to perform at the highest standard in their HSC exams in the same way as a student from a low-ranking school, because HSC exam marks are determined based on the student's performance in their HSC exams, and are therefore unaffected by their internal ranks or their school rank.

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC

jimmy my g, from what I know you shouldn't put raw marks into a calculator..

but if i got 98% and ranked 2nd for my math standard exam, do i go onto rawmarks and find what 98 corresponds to for alignment and then put that into a uac calculator? if so, there doesn't seem to be enough data, should i just care about my rank?

natsnapshoot

HSC

but if i got 98% and ranked 2nd for my math standard exam, do i go onto rawmarks and find what 98 corresponds to for alignment and then put that into a uac calculator? if so, there doesn't seem to be enough data, should i just care about my rank?
A 98 in most subjects is going to be a 98/99/100. For other marks though you can make an estimate based on any available data. Or you could use carrotts calculator with the raw marks

carrotsss

HSC

your internal exam probably won’t be comparable to hsc difficulty anyway so you can’t really do anything like that, you can get a rough estimate using your ranking though by sorta guessing based on the number of band 6s your school has got in the past and that fact that marks higher become rarer

stevie444

HSC
your internal exam probably won’t be comparable to hsc difficulty anyway so you can’t really do anything like that, you can get a rough estimate using your ranking though by sorta guessing based on the number of band 6s your school has got in the past and that fact that marks higher become rarer
yeah, this is more accurate at higher ranked schools and when you are close to the b6 cutoff but take it with a grain of salt until you do a few more assessments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)