Ranks, Should i worry yet? (1 Viewer)

HSC
After first term assessments my ranks and marks are as such:

Advanced English- 28/30, =2/92
English Ext 2- 9/10, =1/9
Modern History- 29/30, 3/42
Business Studies- =3/107

I also do SOR 2,Ext 1 Eng and Ext Hist but ether didn't have assessments for them or haven't got results back yet.

Now my question is, say if I got beaten by one or two marks by the person who is ranked 1st does it effect my chances at a mid to high 90's UAI considerably or do the BOS take into account the difference between the canditates too?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It depends on how well your school goes.
Bos takes into account the difference between the candidates, if you are very close (1 percent) off the mark of the #1 person, you will recieve a mark only 1% off theirs...

HSC
You don't have to get number 1 ranks to get a high 90's UAI.. and getting number one ranks does not automatically secure your place with a high 90's UAI.

Raginsheep

HSC
From what I remember, its not the ranks but the difference in marks that matter.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
There was a similar thread made about this topic in the 2006 hsc general discussion. Click here to check it out.

lala2

Banned
HSC
To reiterate what 'Not that Bright' said, it depends on how your school goes. What was your school's ranking last year?

slinky_cumquat

Geriatric
HSC
dont worry about rank now, you have only had perhaps 2 or so assessments per subject if any. so you have many more assessments to change rankings, they even change a lot after trials in june/july, so stress less!

bE_On_eDGe

HSC
Just wanted to know if your school is academically challenged and a minority of students are on top of their game... What happens to their UAI's???

NightShadow

HSC
think of it this way...worrying about rank...what is that really going to do to your academic score? not i reckon..its not like worrying about someone beating you in a school ranking is going to gaurentee that its not going to happen...

and besides..these marks are child's play...what..10% of course...gee..whiZZz...in the trial...some random guy could ace it...and beat all of you...ahh...the randomness of assessments... (not to meantion some other random guy from your school aces his hsc and beats you anyway...) not worth considering..does nothing...

Squishi

HSC
your hsc assessment marks would be affected by the ranks. but remember the assessment marks only count for 50%. the other 50% is your hsc marks. if someone does beat u in ranks it would only mean that he'll beat u in the hsc assessment mark but not necessarily the hsc mark. your final hsc result for a subject is the average between your hsc mark and assessment mark. your uai would also depends on ur school's performance as it affects the scaling of the assessment marks. it is reasonable to worry about ranks now. but those marks to me are brilliant and just keep that up should ensure you a uai in the high 90s. but it depends on ur school.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
English.

At my school, in advanced english, we havern't even done our first assessment, its due as soon as the holidays are over. When was yours due?

J e S s

HSC
i dont get how the performance of my school influences my uai? if i get good marks and am ranked reasonably well but my school overall doesn't do that well, what does that do to my uai?

A l

HSC
N/A
J e S s said:
i dont get how the performance of my school influences my uai? if i get good marks and am ranked reasonably well but my school overall doesn't do that well, what does that do to my uai?
Assuming you sustain your rank throughout the HSC year, it is more likely that performance of those people ranked above or close to you will affect your final mark.
Think about it. Say for example, if your rank in school is only average and the people above you perform poorly in the final exam then theoretically you should be getting even lower marks than them because they are better ranked than you. On the other hand if the people ranked above you perform very well in the final exam, chances are that you will get a reasonable mark but it is still below those ranked above you.
However, if you score average ranks in the internal assessments, you can still compensate this if you excel in the external exam which makes 50% of your final mark. If you excel in the final exam then your exam mark will pull up your lower assessment mark.
If you fall from your current rankings then your resultant mark is likely to be low. If you rise up to the top then theoretically you can go as high as you want. If you are at the top then chances are that you can decide how well you want to go, assuming that it is better than everyone below you.

J e S s

HSC
A l said:
If you fall from your current rankings then your resultant mark is likely to be low. If you rise up to the top then theoretically you can go as high as you want. If you are at the top then chances are that you can decide how well you want to go, assuming that it is better than everyone below you.
Atm im ranked 1 in all my classes bar maths which doesnt really matter coz i do 10 other units... i guess what i dont get is if I am ranked one but the average of my school is reasonably low, how does that affect me? from what i understood of what you said, if im ranked one, it doesnt really matter how well the rest of my class goes...?? but then, i must admit,

--> now i think about it, the poor performance of my school overall probably doesnt say too much about my one rankings anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)