• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ranks vs marks scenario (1 Viewer)

KC18

HSC
Hi BOS.

I know there are probably a million threads like this... but can I pose an imaginary situation here? It has to do with the ranks vs. marks issue. If the numbers don't add up, it's because I'm making them up as I go.

Let's say a student, Bob, has gotten 65% as his half-yearly English mark, but is ranked third in the class of say, fifteen. The twelve kids below Bob are, say... ranging from 40% to 64%. The two above him are on (random numbers) 66% and 68%.

This student is doing well (80s and above) in all his other subjects.
Does this bad mark screw him over? Or will his rank carry him back onto the path to glory? And will the rest of the class bring everyone down?

Also, is it possible for this student to improve his English mark to get to the 80s? Or should Bob give up hope and start busking on recorder at Circular Quay?

I get the moderation-y stuff in theory, but this one situation is bothering me. If I need to add a new chapter to the scenario about how Bob and friends go in their externals, I will.

Thanks!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Mark doesn't matter AT ALL. Only the gap between marks. It's possible for Bob to get 99/100 for English, technically speaking.
And no, only the people that are close to you in rank will affect you (most of the time). The people at the lower end won't affect you that much.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
only ranks matter
if bob is ranked 3rd, and tops his external with 95, and everyone else is a scrub and gets under 80 for their externals

then bob would get under 80 for his internal, and 95 for his external

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What everyone else has said.

The actual mark doesn't matter, only the rank sand the gap between the ranks do.

KC18

HSC
Thanks so much, guys! :wave:

Just to add on a little bit - sorry - what would happen to Sven, the student ranked last in the class? Can he bust a gut and improve like crazy or should he take Bob's place busking on the harbourfront?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Depends on his performance in the HSC, and the rest of the class's performance. Yes, if you're last then the rest of the class is very important.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In my opinion it is important to have a good mark along with a good rank, also the difference bewtween marks is important, but the actual mark is also important

Im pretty sure that rank 10 in maths 3unit with 90% is better then Rank 3 in 3unit with 55%...

But thats just me... I find marks extremly important, because if you are going poor internally, its not likely that you will end up getting 95 or something for externals

gwiz

HSC
Oi, here's a news story:
Try your best, and you'll get the highest possible rank/mark you can.
End story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)