(Rant) Nonsense Advanced Math Trial HSC (1 Viewer)

Bananananana!!!

HSC
Alright. So at my school, which is a Co-ed public school, we recently just sat our mathematics trial hsc papers. Only, the advanced one was so difficult for absolutely no reason. It was like 10 times harder than last year's trial paper from Fort Street, a top NSW selective school. I know this because I got 83/100 on the Fort Street test with like half an hour to spare, losing marks on the final topic my school hasn't covered yet (continuous random variables) and some careless mistakes here and there I was too lazy to fix. But this paper I sat on Thursday only had like 25 marks I was confident I could get within a 3-hour time frame. Nobody in my class is even confident they'll get even just 50%. I just don't understand why they did this because it doesn't even emulate the difficulty of the actual HSC but instead amplified it by so much for no reason. I don't even want to imagine how bad my Extension 1 paper is going to be next Wednesday. What's even funnier is that in this test, we were given questions on continuous random variables even though we haven't even covered it! Wtf!?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Alright. So at my school, which is a Co-ed public school, we recently just sat our mathematics trial hsc papers. Only, the advanced one was so difficult for absolutely no reason. It was like 10 times harder than last year's trial paper from Fort Street, a top NSW selective school. I know this because I got 83/100 on the Fort Street test with like half an hour to spare, losing marks on the final topic my school hasn't covered yet (continuous random variables) and some careless mistakes here and there I was too lazy to fix. But this paper I sat on Thursday only had like 25 marks I was confident I could get within a 3-hour time frame. Nobody in my class is even confident they'll get even just 50%. I just don't understand why they did this because it doesn't even emulate the difficulty of the actual HSC but instead amplified it by so much for no reason. I don't even want to imagine how bad my Extension 1 paper is going to be next Wednesday. What's even funnier is that in this test, we were given questions on continuous random variables even though we haven't even covered it! Wtf!?
i'm sure your exam was very difficult, however, you may wanna compare it to CSSA 2023 as I believe that is the hardest 2u trial I've done

fort street papers tend to be on the easier side (legit 1/5 for 3u and 4u usually), however, i've heard this year they've set some cooked shit

good luck with 3u bro

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Check your notification. If there isn't anything about continuous random variables, it's best to argue ur case.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
A lot of schools especially some of the more higher-end ones (eg. selective ones like Ruse and NSB or private ones like Sydney Grammar) will make their questions relatively harder than the HSC because harder questions help to better distinguish the ranks and separate the cohorts into 'groups' as a result for the internal moderation process, and also since the cohort is used to hard questions from Trials and preparing for those hard Trial questions it'll make the HSC easier in comparison + also help them be more confident in tackling the harder questions found toward the end of the HSC.

Another issue is that (at least in my experience) doing a past paper outside of actual exam conditions and without actual high-stakes time pressure often means you'll do way better than if you did. I can't tell in regards to how bad or good or easy or hard your paper was but chances are if you did the paper outside of exam conditions, you probably would've done better. My 3u and 4u averages, as well as my averages for the bio past papers I did, were a bit higher than what I actually got in the Trials.

You could probably raise the issue of being given questions on a topic you haven't covered (check your exam notification to see what syllabus dot-points / outcomes were being assessed before doing so however), but apart from that I don't think there's anything substantially wrong with what your trial paper included

Bananananana!!!

HSC
i'm sure your exam was very difficult, however, you may wanna compare it to CSSA 2023 as I believe that is the hardest 2u trial I've done

fort street papers tend to be on the easier side (legit 1/5 for 3u and 4u usually), however, i've heard this year they've set some cooked shit

good luck with 3u bro
Bro what the hell. That looks so similar to the one my school set (some of the questions I remember looked almost the same and the general difficulty is basically the same as well)

Cathode_RT

I'm so done with trimesters bruh
HSC
From my experience, most selective school exams aren't that much harder than co-eds, usually with 1 - 2 harder problems near the end to seperate the ranks. The fat exception to this is Normanhurst Boys. I had no bloody idea why those papers are so hard, whoever makes them hates everything good in this world.

TLDR: If you're fine doing Normanhurst papers, I doubt any 2u/3u exam will appear extremely difficult compared to what you've prepared for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)